Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Lewis to have surgery today, out for the season

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Senior nose guard Melvin Lewis will have surgery today and be out for the season after breaking his leg against Auburn last week.

“He’ll be out for the season. So we need to try to win a few games down the stretch here and win some games and give him an opportunity to play one last time in the blue and white (in a bowl game,” said Kentucky coach Mark Stoops Monday during his weekly press conference.

Later Stoops said he was not sure Lewis would be able to play even if UK made a bowl game in late December or early January.

“It’s my understanding that it’s normally about a six-week procedure. He’s getting surgery tomorrow. We’re not counting on him for this remainder of this regular season,” Stoops said.

Lewis, a junior college transfer, was the first male in his family to graduate from college and survived a difficult environment as a child to make his mark at UK.

Stoops said he won’t use Lewis’ injury as a rallying cry for the team to make a bowl game.

“If it motivates our guys, then so be it. I know a lot of guys care about him. And rightfully so, like we do as a coaching staff. He’s been a terrific story, so I certainly don’t want that to be his last game for us,” Stoops said. “His presence will be missed on the field and off. But the good thing is his presence will still be there off the field. Once he recovers from this surgery, he’ll be out there and he’ll be inspiring guys.

With Lewis out, sophomore Matt Elam has inherited the starting role and will be counted on for many more plays — and becoming a better pass ruher.

“Matt will be ready. I thought he did some good things (against Auburn) and needs to. This is a great opportunity for him and he’ll need to step up and play,” Stoops, who indicated Adrian Middleton and Tymere Dubose could also play nose guard, said. “Melvin was a senior and really playing some good football and being a very good leader for us. So I think this will be a great opportunity for him (Elam).

“I think that Matt will do very well. He'll rise to the occasion. Matt is very close with Melvin. They are very tight off the field as well. Matt really looks up to Melvin and Matt was disappointed for Melvin that he got hurt, but he'll step in and do a good job.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Matt Elam--are you ready?
      suncat05 -
      Big Matt, it's time to take this bull by the horns! C'mon big fella! We're with you guys!
  • KSR Twitter Feed