Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stoops takes blame for the 8-man punt defense

By: LARRY VAUGHT

During Kentucky’s loss to Auburn, the Wildcats got caught once with only eight players on the field when Auburn got ready to punt. Fortunately for UK, Auburn went ahead and punted instead of taking advantage of UK’s miscue.

Who was at fault?

“Yeah, we messed that up. I messed that up. I take responsibility for that,” Kentucky coach Mark Stoops said Monday. “We had a situation where I thought they would go for it. We were talking about them going for it, and we went to punt safe and there was confusion on that with our personnel with our different packages – as you know, with big and nickel and we have a bunch of different packages – and we had a package in the game.

“We were trying to get them off, and I should have managed that better at the timeout and just subbed one person for one person. Put the returner in and left a punt safe with that personnel grouping in the game. That's my fault and it could've cost us. Luckily we had so many guys running off the field we weren't gonna get called with 12 (players on the field). We're fortunate, but that's a coaching error that I've got to do a better job with.”
    Comments 5 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Special teams are a complete mess regardless of who is at fault.
      KSRBEvans -
      No special teams coach, right? I thought I heard that on Mark Buerger and Larry V's Sunday call-in show.
      MickintheHam -
      When no one is in charge everyone is in charge. That's what it looked like to me.

I believe you are correct Brian. We never specifically filled that slot.
      UKFlounder -
      Yep - they hired Andy Buh to coach LBs and help on defense snd then have a group effort on special teams. I though Buh was to handle kickoff and punt coverage no Tommy Mainord was to handle returns, but maybe I'm misremembering that.
      Terry Blue -
      Not the first time it,s happened, didn,t hurt us, Biggest problem with ST is Mcginnes has been hurt and Foster has mysteriously regressed
  • KSR Twitter Feed