Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q & A with Kentucky DL coach Jimmy Brumbaugh (by Olivia Prewitt)

By OLIVIA PREWITT

This week I interviewed University of Kentucky defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh, who played college football for four years at Auburn where he was a three-time All-SEC defensive lineman.

During his playing days at Auburn, Brumbaugh started 44 of his 48 career games with 291 tackles and 15 sacks as a nose tackle and defensive tackle. Brumbaugh was named Freshman All-SEC in 1995, second-team All-SEC in 1996 and first-team All-SEC in 1997. He helped the Tigers win the 1997 SEC Western Division championship and play in three bowl games, winning two.

Check out what Coach Brumbaugh has to say as he helps prepare the Cats to host Auburn Oct. 15 on ESPN in he first Thursday night game ever at Commonwealth Stadium.

Question: During the season about how many hours would you say you put into football a week?
    Brumbaugh: "I would say on Sunday I go in probably around 9 o'clock in the morning and I leave probably around 10 at night. Monday and Tuesdays I go in around 7:30 am and I probably leave around 10:30 that night. Wednesday we go in around 7:30 and we're done around 6:30 pm. And then Thursday we go in 7:30 and were done that evening around 6:30 again. Friday we go in around 10 o'clock and we go until about 7 o'clock that night. Saturday is game day so, like this past Saturday I went in at around 9 o'clock and we got done of course around midnight."

Question: What is your favorite thing to do outside of football?
    Brumbaugh: "I really just enjoy spending time with the family. I don't golf or anything like that so I really just spend time with the family!"

Question: If you had to pick one food to eat for the rest of your life every day, what would it be?
    Brumbaugh: "Uhm easy, some hot wings!”

Question: Do you have a favorite travel destination?
    Brumbaugh: "I like Hawaii. It was very nice. It was just something different, ya know? We got to see Pearl Harbor and just being at Waikiki Beach was really neat."

Question: What is the best part about the Big Blue Nation?
    Brumbaugh: "There is so much enthusiasm for our up and coming program you know. They're thirsting for football."

Question: So next Thursday Kentucky plays Auburn. How will it feel to be coaching against your old team?
    Brumbaugh: "It feels good but as a competitor you want to win the football game of course because what you have been instilling in your players, you're feeling to win that football game."

Question: Can share your favorite memory from your days spent at Auburn?
    Brumbaugh: "I would just say game day was just really exciting. We had what Auburn calls the Tiger Walk and we just had all the enthusiasm that comes along with it. There's 85-90,000 folks there and in the state of Alabama it's all about football. There's nothing else, there are no pro sports, there's no horse racing, there's nothing. All there is ... Auburn and Alabama football! And so that's what people eat, sleep, and breathe 365 days a year."
    Comments 1 Comment
      dtalbersjr -
      Good read, but she left out the most important question - "Do you know how much pressure you put on your son when you name him 'Legend'!?"
  • KSR Twitter Feed