Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Ulis may be best point guard in nation this year

By: LARRY VAUGHT

In less than two weeks Kentucky coach John Calipari will show off his next team that he hopes can once again be a Final Four/national championship contender.

But think back to a year ago at this time. Sure, everyone thought the Wildcats would be good. Really good. They were, too.

Yet even those lofty preseason expectations did not do justice to then freshman point guard Tyler Ulis. The 5-9 dynamo from Chicago was “only” ranked 20th in the 2014 recruiting class and many wondered how a point guard that small would do, especially in Calipari’s point guard driven system. However, Ulis didn’t need long to erase any doubts anyone had about his ability.

He impressed teammates with his toughness, passing and 3-point shooting. He impressed UK coaches with his poise and ability to run the offense. He impressed fans with his non-stop energy and passion.

Now going into this season some are speculating that Ulis could be the best point guard in the nation. Not in the SEC, but best in the nation. On top of that, Calipari is saying he thinks Ulis will be in the NBA next year. While that could be aimed at helping recruiting, no one can dismiss that notion after Ulis averaged 5.6 points and 3.8 assists per game while shooting 80.8 percent at the foul line, 42.9 percent from 3-point range and 40.6 percent overall.

So what do some basketball experts think about Ulis with the official start of practice just about two weeks away.

“I think Tyler Ulis is a special player. He has a terrific understanding of how to run a team, he is an excellent handler and passer and he can knock down open shots,” said ESPN analyst Jay Bilas. “The ball moves when he is running the show. And, he is an excellent pressure defender at the point of attack. I have no doubt Ulis will play in the NBA. The only question is when.”

Sporting News columnist Mike DeCourcy was one of a few sold on Ulis’ ability before he got to Kentucky. Watching Ulis give out 135 assists and finish the season without making a turnover in the final four NCAA Tournament games did not surprise DeCourcy.

“I'm a huge believer in Tyler Ulis, and I've got the clips to prove it. If the question is ‘could he be the best’ in the country, I'd have to say something like that is possible. But he's not now, and I don't see it as likely. If he weren't a defensive liability in some situations, Calipari would have used him down the stretch of the Wisconsin game and the Wildcats might have another title,” DeCourcy said. “But his lack of size is problematic against someone like Bronson Koenig, and Cal had to make a choice.

“If we were talking about Fred Van Vleet or Kris Dunn, that wouldn't be an issue. They're the two best pure points in college hoops, and North Carolina's Marcus Paige is in the discussion if he's to be a point guard.

“Whether Tyler is in the NBA next year is up to him and Cal. I don't think Tyler will be a first-round pick after this year, next year or the year after. So how much college hoops he plays is dependent on how much he wants to play, and how successful he is as he progresses. I do think he'll have an outstanding sophomore season.”

Another ESPN analyst, Dick Vitale, says he wants to evaluate results as the season progresses before declaring Ulis the best or NBA ready.

“There are a lot of very talented point guards all across America. It is too early to make a rash statement. Let's see how he does with the increased minutes on the court,” Vitale said.

Kentucky Radio Network analyst Mike Pratt, a former UK All-American, believes Ulis could be the best point guard and be in the NBA n ext year. But he says neither is a given.

“He will be Cal on the floor. His experience last year allows him to be that,” Pratt said. “It ill be interesting to see how opponents play him on defense, but he can be special in the transition game.”

Blue Ribbon Basketball Yearbook has Kentucky ranked No. 1 in its preseason poll. Count him as a big believer in Ulis.

“I think he’s a great player. He runs the show, doesn’t make many unforced errors, and if you back off him, you’re dead, because he’s going to nail a 3,” Dortch said. “Whether he heads for the NBA next year, I’m not sure. People might point to his (lack of) size, but he’s thrived at every level he’s played in spite of that. The NBA is the best level in the world, of course, but a guy who can make 3’s and values possessions can make a living up there, regardless of his size.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      dan_bgblue -
      Regardless of one's personal opinion of Mr. Ulis and his playing abilities, it is great to see the quotes from those who view the sport on a national screen. Thanks very much to Larry V for the effort to speak with them and share the info with us.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post