Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Floreal working hard to make an impact

By: OLIVIA PREWITT

ukathletics.com

Q – So last season was pretty memorable to say the least. Other than winning it all this season, what’s your main objective going into it?

EJ - “I mean, for me personally I’m just trying to work hard and do what I do best and hopefully make an impact on this team one way one way or another.”

Q – you actually share the same birthday as my little brother, who’s 11 (March 23rd) he loves basketball too. What advice can you give to younger kids who hope to one day be in your shoes and at the University of Kentucky?

EJ - “First off, always respect your parents and family, that’s number one.

You just got to keep working hard, don’t discouraged about something that’s going bad or going wrong. Everything is some type of test and you just need to be ready at all times.”

Q – Can you talk a little bit about the challenges of balancing school work and being an athlete?

EJ - “I mean it’s obviously not easy and we understood that when we all decided and wanted to come here but it’s something that when Cal talked to us, we knew it. It’s not something we complain about or talk about, we just have to power through it. We may not have as many hours as say a regular student but it’s all worth it for our dreams.”

Q – Your twitter bio shows that your faith is very important to you. It says I’m not a Christian because I’m strong and have it all together I’m a Christian because I’m weak and I admit that I need a Savior.

What is something else you’d like the world to know that they may not already know about you?

EJ - “I mean yeah, my faith is really important to me. I’m a Christian and I’m a strong believer and all that. I read devotions all the time, I try to go to Church as much as I can, so it’s really important to me.

Something people don’t know about me…. All I can think about is that I love to dance but people kinda figured that last year when I did all the dancing. I mean maybe , I don’t know, I think I’m pretty funny. Marcus tries to say I’m not funny I think I’m hilarious.”

Q - What’s your favorite song to dance to?

EJ - “Favorite song to dance to is, it don’t really matter. I just like to dance, if it’s got a nice beat and I can have a little rhythm to it, I’m dancing.”

Q – As a returning player what can you do to improve the teamwork and attitude of each player?

EJ - “I can let them know that #1, it goes by really fast. So we need to make this time worthwhile, we’ve got to work together. We’re going to have to sacrifice, everyone’s going to have to sacrifice, that’s just something they’ve got to understand.”

Q – Going into each game, what is your biggest objective?

EJ - “My biggest objective is just to feel like I’ve been able to help the team and if that’s me playing on game day, preparing people in practice. I just want to make an impact on this team.”

Q – Personally, what are you doing to improve this season?

EJ - “I’m working real hard, I’m in the gym as much I can be. When we play pick up I play as hard as I can to let these guys know that I want to play.

I mean, all of us want to play so I’m trying to compete with them, make them better and they’re doing the same.”

Q - If you were stranded on a private island with any of your teammates, who would you want with you?

EJ - “Marcus Lee, cause that’s my dawg. If he doesn’t say me I’m never answering a question with him again.

When you ask him I want you to tell him what I said. He better say me!”
    Comments 11 Comments
      Carolinawildcats -
      I was not going to mention this when I saw the team photo the other day because I know we joke about Walkons, but I did not recognize Floreal. You can tell he has been working hard and hitting the weights big time....he has added bulk and ripped up.

Dude is a natural athlete for sure!!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      Darrell KSR -
      He is a terrific athlete. I am still hopeful that the athleticism could some day translate into great basketball talents. I doubt it will, but there's still a major place for somebody like this.

Thanks, Olivia.
      Hoss -
      Loved it
      dan_bgblue -
      If there are 3 seconds left in a game with UK down by 1, and he could get open for a pass at half court to race the rest of the way to slam it home, I would make sure I threw the ball to him. He really is an elite athlete and as Darrell said I wish that would translate into basketball skills. I really like the young man and wish him nothing but the best.

Thanks for the read Olivia.
      Terry Blue -
      Let's be realistic, doubt very seriously that he, Hawkins, or Willis get any significant PT. Cal already talking about how some of his best teams, he just played 5 or 6 guys. Those guys probably won't be in the top 10
      badrose -
      Great interview. Keep bringing it, Olivia!
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Let's be realistic, doubt very seriously that he, Hawkins, or Willis get any significant PT. Cal already talking about how some of his best teams, he just played 5 or 6 guys. Those guys probably won't be in the top 10
      Very short-sighted or myopic to think the only way an impact can be made is through "significant PT." Fortunately, EJ Floreal understands it.
      Krank -
      Here's some reality for ya... Hawk has played in two Final Fours.

I'd say that is significant PT.
      Terry Blue -
      I guess I had one heck evaluation impact then in 1966 when as the 10th man on the Shelby County Rockets I usually just played clean up minutes as the coach used the Rupp Cal model of playing 6 or 7.guys. I,ll have to use your guys thinking next time someone asks me about my role, lol. C,Mon guys be real
      Darrell KSR -
      I guess I had one heck evaluation impact then in 1966 when as the 10th man on the Shelby County Rockets I usually just played clean up minutes as the coach used the Rupp Cal model of playing 6 or 7.guys. I,ll have to use your guys thinking next time someone asks me about my role, lol. C,Mon guys be real
      No offense intended, but I have no idea if you positively or negatively impacted the team, who may have had success in spite of you. I do know from having coached several sports for 35 years that I know what I'm talking about. I suggest you don't.

Edit - I certainly didn't mean this to be as pointed as it reads. My only concern is that you are completely and wholly failing to recognize critical aspects of impact in practice and off court, through work ethic, influence, pushing others in practice, and a hundred other non-PT items. Having coached all the way through semi-pro baseball, I can assure you that it impacts almost every level of athletics.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
      CitizenBBN -
      How many football players are there on a team who barely play in a given season? none of those guys count either to you?

It's clear Floreal is talking about helping the team in any way he can, which may be to simply set a strong example and work hard and be there for the guys, etc. Of course he can make a difference in those ways without us seeing him in games.

Havent' you ever watched Rudy?
  • KSR Twitter Feed