Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Marcus Lee: Relationships at Kentucky key to success

By: OLIVIA PREWITT

Q– With my previous interview with EJ, I started to ask him if he was on a private island with any of his teammates who would he choose.

Marcus- “He chose me.”

Q- He did.

Marcus- “And I choose him. “

Q – He said he hoped that you’d pick him. Why would you pick him?

Marcus – “Because he’s my best friend!”

Q – As a returning player and leader for the new freshmen, how do you plan on promoting positive energy for your team through both the good and bad situations that usually goes along with the season?

Marcus – “I feel that the first thing you got to do is just like enjoy the moment. Once they see you having fun and not really stressing about things they kinda feel like they can relax and start getting things done.”

Q – Tell us a little bit about what you’ve done in the off-season to help prepare for this season?

Marcus – “I’ve tried to get this team together, we’re kinda young, we don’t have that many returning players so being able to be together at once in such a fast way is something we have to stress.”

Q – Going in as a young team what are you expecting?

Marcus - “We expect the same thing as every other year, which is to do great things and nothing less.”

Q – I’d say it’s been an adjustment for you coming from California to the Bluegrass. Is there anything that you’ve done or got to experience in Kentucky that you never thought you’d do or try?

Marcus – “I’ve definitely seen a lot of things that I’m not used to seeing. I think one thing that I’ve started to love is going to the Derby and stuff like that because we don’t have anything like that in California.

And also just being in college in general you get to enjoy things that you don’t really understand at first, so it’s really a good experience.”

Q – Have you been horseback riding since you’ve been in Kentucky?

Marcus – “No, I don’t think I ever will.

It kinda freaks me about about being on a horse.”

Q – Can you describe your typical pre-game routine?

Marcus – “We usually have a pre-game meal and then I head to the gym maybe an hour earlier than the rest of my team just to kinda relax and not be in a rush. And then I have a specific schedule of how I put my clothes on, how I get things done in the locker room and then I go on the court to do my specific routine and that’s how I get myself ready for that game.”

Q – What about halftime?

Marcus – "At halftime I’m in game mode so there’s no real routine. it just depends on how we’re playing.”

Q – Can you talk a little bit about the relationship that you have with your teammates and how that’s played a role in the success of the past seasons?

Marcus – “Our relationship together in previous years is what got us there, us being so tight-knit as a family has bonded us to get where we wanted to go.

There were times when we could have fell apart and just abandoned each other but we’ve gotten closer and worked through it and that’s what family does, they work through things and that’s what makes people great.”

Q – What do you consider your biggest struggle on the court to be and how are you improving this?

Marcus – “I think our greatest struggle so far, just being at Kentucky, is us trying to come together and that’s just something that you have to stress this year.

That’s something we need to stress every year because we have so many people from different parts of the world so it’s a little bit harder this year because we don’t know how everybody is or how people are going to react to things so being able to bond with each other is something that really helps us out.”

Q – I’ve noticed your involvement with Kickin It for Kelly. When did you first meet him and talk a little bit about your role off the court with him.

Marcus – "I met Kelly my freshman year, middle of my freshman year, and the craziest thing is that when I met him, when you think about you’re going to see a kid in the hospital you think of somebody just sitting around as a sad thing but I walked in the first time and there was water guns squirted at me, this kid didn’t know who I was but he was chasing me with a water gun, with nerf-guns, so at this point it’s not so much me trying to help him out, but it’s him trying to help me out and that’s what I see and I walk in there and I could have a bad day and he makes me smile so it’s more of me having a friend instead of me trying to help somebody out.”

Q – I know your 21st birthday is coming up pretty soon. Do you have any big plans for this year?

Marcus – “21st birthday, I will be…. I really don’t know what I want to do but most likely we’ll have a workout or something here, so I would do that first and then… I don’t know what I’m going to do for my 21st birthday.”

Q – No trips to Vegas?

Marcus – “Noooo… If I could I would but I can’t….”
    Comments 10 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      There's Kingcat's man. Can he break out and be a huge player for Kentucky this year? Or will he be around for yet another season?

Either way is a "win" for Kentucky in my book.

Thanks, Olivia. Enjoyed the interview.
      Carolinawildcats -
      Olivia...this is great stuff!!

Thank you!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Terrific reporting, Olivia!!!
      Hoss -
      Great read
      Krank -
      Agreed, fun read. Thanks Olivia!

Marcus is one of the coolest kids to come through UK under Coach Calipari... and just maybe one of the coolest Cats EVER!
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
      Agreed, fun read. Thanks Olivia!

Marcus is one of the coolest kids to come through UK under Coach Calipari... and just maybe one of the coolest Cats EVER!
      2nd that emotion…..he is a very bright young man…..to remain at UK for 3-4 years riding the bench and keeping his chin up is quite remarkable
      KMSBball -
      Really like Marcus Lee's personality and what he brings to the program. I hope that he's made strides in his game so that he can proceed and suceed to the next step of his career.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
      2nd that emotion…..he is a very bright young man…..to remain at UK for 3-4 years riding the bench and keeping his chin up is quite remarkable
      Word up, RHT, especially considering he was a Top 25 guy coming outta HS. I think he's going to be great this year. The big question, of course, is "has he developed some touch on his shooting?"

I certainly am rooting for him.
      bigsky -
      Gotta shoot a free throw, Volleyball Guy.
      kingcat -
      I'm not worried about Marcus at all. He's a methodical individual who has had a three year plan while at UK.
      There's no doubt in my mind he will maximize his potential this season. And his potential is equivalent to a guy like WCS.

Fun stuff. Appreciate it.
  • KSR Twitter Feed