Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• JoJo Kemp passes Boom Williams for the starting nod

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Boom Williams is Kentucky’s leading rusher and considered one of the top running backs in the Southeastern Conference.

Yet going into Saturday’s game with Eastern Kentucky it is JoJo Kemp, not Williams, listed No. 1 on the depth chart at running back.

Williams has rushed for 343 yards and one score while averaging 7.3 yards per carry this year. Kemp has gained 204 yards with one score and averaged 5.4 yards per try. However, in last week’s win over Missouri Williams had just seven carries for 21 yards — all in the first half — while Kemp had 13 attempts for 66 yards and helped UK run out the clock in the win.

“The thinking there is that is the way we game went. Jojo was the guy that did some things in the game and he deserves an opportunity,” Stoops said Monday at his weekly press conference. “Again, you guys (in the media) get hung up on the depth chart and believe me it is important to our players as well — all of our players. We take all of that into consideration, but we need all of our players to compete at a high level all the time to help us win games.”

It was obvious Williams was not happy as he left the field at halftime and apparently was scolded by Stoops for failing to pick up a blitz. Again after the game Williams was one of the first players off the field while his teammates stayed to celebrate.

“I am waiting to visit with him myself. He had some academic responsibilities all morning,” Stoops said Monday. “I have been trying to get him into my office prior to this conference. I haven’t been able to get the time. We will meet before our meetings this afternoon.”

He said blocking was not the issue as some speculated.

“Was it up to snuff or not? Just like some of our guys there are always things that we can critique them on and do better,” Stoops said. “That (blocking) is not the issue. I guess I am not insinuating that there is an issue, but there could be I guess. We will look at it.

“I need to talk to Boom. I don’t want to say anything or insinuate anything. I need to talk to him.”
    Comments 9 Comments
      UKHistory -
      I hope all is well with Boom. We need a stable of quality players all on the same page to be successful.

Boom's father has been something special in the Cat Walk and I would just hope that good things continue for the team.
      Darrell KSR -
      No need to speculate--as I do it anyway, of sorts--but it *does* sound like there's some small issue. I wouldn't think it was big, just one of those regular football things.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      He was benched after letting the linebacker run right by him and sack Towles on the opening drive of the second half.

I love that we have the depth to send this kind of message.
      dan_bgblue -
      I really respect the way Coach handled the question.

I would guess that Boom was miffed and Coach wants to clear the air and set things straight. Hopefully this will be the last we hear of the "issue".
      UKFlounder -
      @JDrumUK: On his weekly radio show, Mark Stoops said he doesn't have anything more to add to Boom Williams' situations. "Going to keep that internal."
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      He was benched after letting the linebacker run right by him and sack Towles on the opening drive of the second half.

I love that we have the depth to send this kind of message.
      He was benched and he didn't handle it well. I was never good at team sports so I get not taking it well, but in sports like football the proper response is to be a strong teammate and cheer all the harder. If he left quick at halftime and after the big win and didn't celebrate as hard as anyone, the coaches will not take it well.

I doubt his dad does either, and neither will Boom once he has time to reflect and get over the moment. The staff has to demand the right things, and Boom should respond and be fine.

But JoJo had that job and lost it and if he responded the right way, then yes based on that and his play in the last game he probably deserves the nod. Boom can do something about it by being there to support JoJo and the team and making the most of his chances on the field b/c he'll get them.
      KeithKSR -
      Coach is sending a message.
      kingcat -
      We need competitors. Boom needs to up his game mentally. Both are extremely talented, dynamic players.

Kudos to Jo Jo!
      Padukacat -
      Boom may need to get his focus back and come down to earth, and Jojo needs a shot, perfect timing. The missed block was bad but honestly that dude snuck in there like a freight train and boom just got caught in a glance to his right and it was too late. it happens, especially to young players.
  • KSR Twitter Feed