Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Defense Has Evolved Into a Strength

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Ryan Flannigan and Jason Hatcher celebrate a play.

One of the concerns at the beginning of the season was with the loss of Bud Dupree and Za'Darius Smith that the defense would be one of weakness. Especially at the defensive end in rush situations. When the season started the Wildcat defense was missing a starting outside linebacker/defensive end in Jason Hatcher and a inside linebacker in Ryan Flannigan.

In football you never know that with development an maturity of players what will evolve within a team. Though still somewhat multiple, the base defense of the Cats is now 3-4. It was suspected that would make up for the losses of the aforementioned players who now are both in the NFL. The Wildcats for the most part have been injury free of anything major. The usual bumps and bruises have open up some unexpected revelations on both side of the ball. It's called addition by subtraction.

When Flannigan was out of the lineup Khalid Henderson did a admirable job and Jabari Johnson did a solid job when Hatcher was out. Both were back for the Missouri game but the lineup was missing Regie Meant a starter on the defensive line.

One of the development situations involved defensive tackle South Carolina native C. J. Johnson that was previously a backup to Meant. The junior college transfer as of last season was best known as a one-trick pony which was pass-rusher extraordinaire. Recently he was asked how has he improve himself to be a every down back? “I put the extra work in going through the progressions going over what I learned,” the ebullient Johnson who had eleven tackles Saturday against Missouri, said. “Just learning individually and as a team and just going out and playing comfortably.” More to the point what did you change” Probably paying more attention to detail. I came in thinking something was going to be given to me and not working as hard. Johnson started to rise to prominence when he had a blocked field goal against Florida. “I saw the way the lineman was lined up and the way he was slanted so I got in the crease and threw my hand up. You never know whether when you put your hand up if you are going to make contact with ball. You just jump as high as you can and it came my way.”

Johnson said the difference in he and Meant is Meant is is going to hit, blow him up and throw him out of there. “I'm going to hit and get up out of there for the next hit. We are two different players.” He said the early suspension was something he had to deal with. “When I came back I felt I owed the team something but mostly I felt I owed myself something. I let myself down by being suspended for the first game.”

Johnson has been name the SEC defensive lineman of the week. Stoops said he was proud of his effort. The coach said - “He had a heck of a game and deserved it.”

Johnson's effort is just another example of the growth of the defense that's going to be need as the season progresses.
    Comments 3 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Really good read Lonny. Any word on when Meant will return from last week's injury? I was really pleased to see Johnson come into his own and have a beastly game
      LonnyDemaree -
      No word onthe return of meant.
      dan_bgblue -
      Hope it is soon, just like everyone else does, and thank you for the reply.
  • KSR Twitter Feed