Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Towles with game ball, but many UK players played well

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Garrett Johnson had six catches for 119 yards
    ---

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops admits he’s normally “stingy” handing out game balls to players. However, he had no problem giving one to quarterback Patrick Towles Saturday night after UK beat No. 25 Missouri 21-13.

That’s the same Towles who was being roasted by many fans after his performance against Florida in a 14-9 loss along with the way UK ended last season 0-6. Many were hoping that Stoops would give redshirt freshman Drew Barker a chance to lead the offense.

Instead, Towles responded with probably his best overall game at UK. He completed 14 of his first 15 passes for 120 yards and also scored a touchdown. He finished the game 22 of 27 passing for 249 yards and two scores. He became the first UK quarterback since Andre Woodson in 2007 to throw for at least two scores and rush for a score in the same game. Woodson did it in a win over eventual national champion LSU and while this win may not go down in the same historical significance, it was a signature win for Stoops, Towles and UK.

Stoops said he “really didn’t say much” to Towles during the week other than to support him.

“I want to make sure I don’t hinder the playcaller and the quarterback,” Stoops said. “I thought he played a really good game and made good plays with his feet and was aggressive down the stretch.”

And remember that Kentucky won despite having a 48-yard pass to Dorian Baker negated by a holding call and an interception return by A.J. Stamps wiped out by a pass interfence call.

“We are better football team and can overcome some of that now. I think as we get better then we can overcome some critical things,” Stoops said. “I thought it was good to see us get in attack mode and make plays when the game was on the line. That was a confidence builder for sure.”

That’s because Kentucky had a lot of players other than Towles play well.

— Freshman tight end A.J. Conrad finally got a chance to look like Jacob Tamme as coaches had predicted he would. His first UK catch was a 28-yard gain in the second quarter and then he had a 24-yard scoring reception in the third quarter, the first TD catch by a UK tight end since Steven Borden in 2013.

“Everybody was wondering when he would break out of his shell. It was good to see him make some plays. We knew it would come. Just a matter of when,” Stoops said.

— Garrett Johnson posted his second career 100-yard receiving game with six catches for 119 yards and Baker, who dropped a pass in the end zone on UK’s first series against Florida, had five catches for 51 yards and a score.

— Junior running back Jojo Kemp gained 66 yards on 13 carries in the second half after Boom Williams seemed to put himself in Stoops’ doghouse when he failed to make a block on a Missouri blitz.

“One game this guy might be hot. He (Kemp) made some tough runs. I don’t know why it was JoJo tonight. He had some tough runs. He runs some of gap runs better,” Stoops said. “At the end of every victory, we have got some critical runs. That is how you win close games. If you are not able to do that, you lose. We are getting better at that and big part of why I hired (offensive coordinator) Shannon (Dawson).”

— C.J. Johnson had the best performance of his career with 11 tackles and one-half sack playing in place of injured Regie Meant. Johnson had set a career-high in tackles with seven at halftime. He had set his career high with six tackles against Florida a week earlier.

— Senior Josh Forrest had nine tackles, including half a sack and a tackle for a loss.

— Junior Jason Hatcher made a career-high eight tackles, had his first pass break-up, a quarterback hurry and half a tackle for a loss.

— Freshman linebacker Denzil Ware recorded his first sack, two tackles for loss and five total tackles along with a quarterback hurry.

— Senior linebacker Ryan Flannigan had eight tackles, two pass break-ups and his first career quarterback hurry in his first game of the season.

“We don’t need guys to go be Supermen. We have a good team. We just need them to go play within themselves,” Stoops said
    Comments 10 Comments
      kingcat -
      When a leader steps up and the cause is just, the troops will follow.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Coaches and players alike stepped up this week. Missouri was a better team than Florida. We played like this last week and wed be undefeated. I feel good about the rest of the season. aubie better look out.
      TonyRay -
      The TD pass to Conrad was a perfectly called play! The safeties were up and and the only coverage was by a LB. as soon as they lined up and was yelling for it to go to CJ as it was total mismatch. He is gonna be special and I hope he is put more and more into the passing game.
      I commend the Defense last night and so far this season, coming in they were the question mark and yet have kept us in each ballgame when offense struggled. They stood tall on several occasions when things were going against them. Holding Mizzou to the FG late in the game really kept us in control up 8.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      Coaches and players alike stepped up this week. Missouri was a better team than Florida. We played like this last week and wed be undefeated. I feel good about the rest of the season. aubie better look out.
      I be feelin' good, too!
      jazyd -
      Glad for PT, been a fan from day one.

Funny he is now a leader when that was totally called into question, guess that poster forgot

I disagree about Misouri being better than UF, amuck is terrible, had a wide open receiver beating two of our db's by 3 yards and he under throws by at least 5 yards which would have put them up 17-14 and might have been the game. Made several other bad throws. Defense not nearly as good as UF. Way over rated.

I expected UF to play well, lot of confidence in coach Mac and said so in the summer

Caught USC at a good time, the freshman QB is going to make a big difference for them
      Vandy is better on defense but offense is still weak
      UT is a disaster, QB is not nearly what everyone thought he would be. Can Jones survive getting beat by UG, UF, OK, UK, USC, and probably 1-2 more
      AU made a good move at QB, kid looked good, good arm, mobile, will get better, OL opened big holes. Will be a tough game
      MSU is playing good, wr's doing a good job, OL is new and inexperienced but getting better. Their defense bends but so far doesn't break. Dak, love the kid, better passer this year, not running as much but better QB. Changed his hand position in the ball in the spring and now throws like a QB instead of an athlete. Tough to win in Starkville
      UGA is good
      Don't assume UL is an easy win, Petrino is a good coach, prick as a person, but good coach and if there is one game they want, it's that one

So IMO, my expectations have changed mainly because Missouri, Ut, AU aren't what I and everyone else expected. 7-8 wins
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Glad for PT, been a fan from day one.

Funny he is now a leader when that was totally called into question, guess that poster forgot

I disagree about Misouri being better than UF, amuck is terrible, had a wide open receiver beating two of our db's by 3 yards and he under throws by at least 5 yards which would have put them up 17-14 and might have been the game. Made several other bad throws. Defense not nearly as good as UF. Way over rated.

I expected UF to play well, lot of confidence in coach Mac and said so in the summer

Caught USC at a good time, the freshman QB is going to make a big difference for them
      Vandy is better on defense but offense is still weak
      UT is a disaster, QB is not nearly what everyone thought he would be. Can Jones survive getting beat by UG, UF, OK, UK, USC, and probably 1-2 more
      AU made a good move at QB, kid looked good, good arm, mobile, will get better, OL opened big holes. Will be a tough game
      MSU is playing good, wr's doing a good job, OL is new and inexperienced but getting better. Their defense bends but so far doesn't break. Dak, love the kid, better passer this year, not running as much but better QB. Changed his hand position in the ball in the spring and now throws like a QB instead of an athlete. Tough to win in Starkville
      UGA is good
      Don't assume UL is an easy win, Petrino is a good coach, prick as a person, but good coach and if there is one game they want, it's that one

So IMO, my expectations have changed mainly because Missouri, Ut, AU aren't what I and everyone else expected. 7-8 wins
      Dang right I called it into question. He was in a major struggle heading into this game. And played better than he had all year..for both halves

He hadn't been impressive, and pretty much admitted it. And I am happy for the young man despite the inference, and I am pulling for him to succeed at the highest level. Had the Mizzou outing mirrored the Florida game we'd be discussing what to do about the QB situation in these threads. It had been that bad.

I also thought the OC done a fine job correcting things although some posters didn't think he had it in him.
      Padukacat -
      I was amazed at what I saw in that game. We saw things that we have been begging for...for years!

1. Towles hit receivers in stride across the middle of the field. What a concept to throw to the middle.

2. Our Athletes were just better than your athletes. our two RB, Westry, and at least two recievers were better athletes. Not just better, they are pretty much freak athletes.

3. We closed out a game and knew we were going to. I couldn't believe my eyes, did we really just take control of the game with confidence and not even worry about losing? Yes, that's what we did.

There is no telling what this team can do if PT continues to play like that and his line gives him time. All about the OL baby.
      WoodstockCat -
      credit to OC for switching backfield formation and going with JoJo behind Towles plus the extra blockers. Guy in front of me made the comment about how much harder and faster Kemp hits holes sometimes than other runners.
      I was still worried about losing when AJ almost tripped over his own feet on the last kick-off. (too many times seeing the old movie of losing late).
      Some major strides with lots of room to grow. Missouri game and (level of opponent) came at perfect time for this Cats team to experience confidence and growth.
      Terry Blue -
      Missouri has won two straight titles and 11 away games in a row for some good reasons. Excellent coaching and they just don't beat themselves. No turnovers and maybe a couple of penalties. There are SEC teams that have more talent on the teams but none that play as clean as Mizzo. I think they're better than Fla also. I also agree with all the players listed above as standing out
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      I was amazed at what I saw in that game. We saw things that we have been begging for...for years!

1. Towles hit receivers in stride across the middle of the field. What a concept to throw to the middle.

2. Our Athletes were just better than your athletes. our two RB, Westry, and at least two recievers were better athletes. Not just better, they are pretty much freak athletes.

3. We closed out a game and knew we were going to. I couldn't believe my eyes, did we really just take control of the game with confidence and not even worry about losing? Yes, that's what we did.

There is no telling what this team can do if PT continues to play like that and his line gives him time. All about the OL baby.
      The importance of #1 and the difference it made in the game likely can't be overstated.

Wholeheartedly agree on #2. Our WRs, especially, seemed to be able to beat their man at will on Saturday.
  • KSR Twitter Feed