Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stanley Williams to return to Cat Walk

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Stanley Williams Sr. now knows it was not Kentucky coach Mark Stoops that barred him from being part of the pregame Cat Walk before last Saturday’s game against Florida.

Before UK’s season opener, the father of UK sophomore running back Boom Williams dazzled the Cat Walk crowd. He had a game jersey and football pants and cleats on. He was wearing eye black. He had a special set of shoulder pads. And he had a microphone to make sure everyone could hear him.

As the Cat Walk fans waited for the players to arrive, Williams energized the fans before the Louisiana-Lafayette game and it was so impressive that ESPN had a segment featuring him. He had done the same for the fans at times last year minus the equipment.

He came back to Commonwealth Stadium for the Florida game expecting to do the same and had even added a blue wig. He was there at 10:30 a.m. — nine hours before kickoff. He circled the stadium interacting with fans and estimates he took over 300 pictures with fans.

But when Williams tried to get inside the ropes keeping fans out of the Cat Walk path, he was turned away.

“The (UK) policeman told me that (UK coach Mark) Stoops did not want me out there and I couldn’t be,” Williams said.

Fans wanted to know where Williams was. As they either heard what happened from someone or saw Williams and asked, many got upset.

I told Williams there was no way Stoops would have handled things in that manner. For one, I doubted the coach had time to focus on who was where during the Cat Walk during Florida week — or before any game. Two, if Stoops had made that decision, I have to believe he would have let Williams know during the week, not when the Cat Walk was about to start.

Williams said Monday night that he got a call from Stoops Sunday as he was driving home to Georgia with family members.

“He told me didn’t know where the police got that from. He said he had not said nothing. He didn’t know how the police got the word to keep me out,” Williams said. “He told me, ‘I ain’t told nobody nothing.’

“He told me to keep doing what I was doing to get the fans excited. He said if I have a problem again, come see him.”

Information on Twitter Monday indicated that UK officials were worried about a “safety concern” with Williams since he is not an official member of the football program. The worry is what might keep other fans from coming inside the Cat Walk line. What UK officials want is for him to continue to lead cheers anywhere at the stadium except inside the Cat Walk line.

If that is the case, someone at UK should let both Stoops and Williams know what is going on. Same with the fans who appreciated Williams’ energy and enthusiasm so much.

Plus, why not find a way to solve the concerns? Maybe fans lined up at the ropes could just alternate stepping back a foot or so and let Williams in front of them. When he wants to move, other fans could do the same.

“I just want to see this team win and get fans hyped,” Williams said. “I am not trying to cause trouble or anything like that. I just want to help.”
    Comments 9 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Good
      kingcat -
      UK officials with no common sense. How unusual is that?
      suncat05 -
      The Kentucky offense sure could have used some of his enthusiasm.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      UK officials with no common sense. How unusual is that?
      Don't get me started with that. The athletics office is getting pretty full of themselves these days.
      jazyd -
      hope they enjoy their days Mick, that buyout gets smaller by the day.
      CitizenBBN -
      i'll type this slow so even the marketing and administrators at UK can follow it:

1. Remove head from ass.

2. Do not reinsert.

Either get over it and let him do his thing or dig into the ncaa rules and find a way to put him on the payroll there, maybe under some contractor that works the games. I'm sure that there would be more than one way to deal with the situation without just stamping out a bit of actual fun..

f'ing safety nazis.

oh, and does anyone else love the irony that those people are happy to make their living from an organization that sends his son out to be pummeled about the head and body by big men in body armor, almost certainly causing concussive and other damage to him and everyone else out there, but THIS is their big "safety" worry? I'm back to my Col. Kurtz quote on this one.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

oh, and does anyone else love the irony that those people are happy to make their living from an organization that sends his son out to be pummeled about the head and body by big men in body armor, almost certainly causing concussive and other damage to him and everyone else out there, but THIS is their big "safety" worry? I'm back to my Col. Kurtz quote on this one.
      I thought about that, too. Funny.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I thought about that, too. Funny.
      I shouldn't be so mean in tone re UK, but I really dislike the overreaction of the safety mindset, legal or otherwise. There are times you should be prudent, legally and otherwise, then there are times to take a chill pill.

I see no great threat from UK letting whoever they want into the Cat Walk, and excluding anyone as well. They made a gutless decision, then doubled down on gutless by pinning it on the coach. Just let him out there and find something more serious to worry about.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Boom!
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post