Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Asafo-Adjei working through freshman growing pains

By: LARRY VAUGHT

True freshman offensive tackle George Asafo-Adjei made a big impression on Kentucky coaches and teammates as soon as he arrived on campus in January and earned a starting spot when former high school teammate Kyle Meadows was suspended for the first game.

Asafo-Adjei has started all three games, but for the first time he had some major difficulties against Florida’s defensive front last week.

“Definitely some growing pains. And they’re playing some dudes out there,” said Kentucky coach Mark Stoops. “On the road at South Carolina and at home against Florida, those guys can go; they can rush. And you get put on an island, and we want to throw the ball, and to get the ball down the field you gotta protect. He’s going through some growing pains, but he’s also doing some very good things, so I’m very pleased. I know he’ll get better and better.”

Stoops said Florida’s speed and athleticism on the defensive front just overmatched UK at times.

“It’s difficult. (Asafo-Adjei) has never seen anything like that. It’s hard to simulate that. So he’s going to get better and better and he’s done some really good things, but it’s hard,” Stoops said.

However, he’s not discouraged by the way his freshman has played.

“If you ask any coach — that you’re going to start a true freshman at tackle in this league that you’d be a little bit alarmed. It’s not easy to do. So I appreciate the effort he’s giving and he’s getting better. Proud of him and the way he’s working,” Stoops said.

Meadows replaced Asafo-Adjei at times against Florida and did the same at South Carolina.

“Kyle did some good things and he’ll help us. Kyle will help us as we move forward as well,” Stoops said.
    Comments 1 Comment
      CatQuick -
      He will be a stud on a very good offensive line his so and jr years. 3 year player.
  • KSR Twitter Feed