Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Florida Beats Kentucky, Part 29

By: LARRY VAUGHT

So much for the streak-busting.

For the 29th straight year, Kentucky lost to Florida. The Wildcats had plenty of chances to pull the mild upset to end the streak but lost 14-9.

Florida had just 245 yards of total offense and was 2 of 11 on third-down conversions. One of the Florida touchdowns was set up by an intercpetion after UK’s Dorian Baker had dropped a pass in the end zone that would have given UK the early lead.

Maybe that was just a sign of what was to come from the offense because UK managed just 241 yards and now has gone six quarters without a score. Quarterback Patrick Towles was 8-for-24 for 126 yards and was sacked six times for losses of 50 yards.

“We never got in any rhythm or sync offensively and they (Florida) had a lot to do with it,” Kentucky coach Mark Stoops said. “We put ourselves in the hole and didn’t make plays when we had to.”

Stoops said Baker’s drop on UK’s first possession was “critical and a huge swing” in the game.

“We never gave our fans a chance to get into the game. It was a great environment leading up to the game and seeing the stadium filled was incredible. That would have been a great start,” Stoops said.

He said he was pleased with the defensive effort but that there were still key mistakes.

“The numbers might look good, but we still lost,” linebacker Josh Forrest, who had eight tackles, said. “All that matters is winning and we did not win.”

Towles was not sharp at times, but he also often had almost no protection. Stoops noted that Towles overthrew a pass on 3rd-and-goal at the 5-yard line and also missed Baker on UK’s final drive when he did not put the “ball in his chest” when he was open.

However, he was not ready to abandon his quarterback and go to backup Drew Barker like many UK fans are already pleading for him to do.

“Patrick has done some very good things. I don’t want to throw him under the bus. It’s not all on Patrick. There is plenty to go around. He would be the first to tell you that we have to improve,” Stoops said.

Towles said just that, too. However, offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson said blame him, not Towles.

“I did not do a very good job calling plays and putting us in the right positions,” Dawson said. “That’s a good defense we played and I just didn’t do very well.”

Why not?

“We all have bad nights. That’s all I can say,” Dawson said.

For Kentucky football fans, that’s all they have been saying for 29 years after playing Florida.
    Comments 10 Comments
      suncat05 -
      Yeah, we ALWAYS have a bad night when we play Florida.
      blueboss -
      How many times have we heard the coaching staff " I did not do a very good job calling plays"? Or " we didn't give them what they needed to be successful"?

I understand taking the blame, but no touchdowns in the last six quarters might support their lack of calling statements.

The players are working hard preparing for games, perhaps the staff might need to work a little harder getting some plays prepared for a lot of different scenarios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Here was UK's offensive game plan in a nutshell last night.

1st down: Run up the middle or Towles incomplete.

2nd & long: run up the middle

3rd & long: Obvious passing down so let's not keep a RB or TE in for extra protection that was needed.
      Doc -
      I watched very little of the game, just what I could catch streaming while in line at Universal Studios, but was (un)fortunate enough to see the first and goal at the two. Told my wife we would give the ball to Jo Jo to "fool" the defense rather than power it in with Horton. See when I predict it, so can and did FL, as well as everybody else. Two passes and a Kemp rush later= 3 points. You can't leave points on the field like that and expect to win.
      kingcat -
      Stoops has a ways to go to coach like Pop and his older brother.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      The Barker vs Towles debate is going to thrive within the fanbase. I'm not one to simply bench a starter because things aren't improving as quickly as we'd like. However, I'm really troubled by Towles decision making to not get rid of the ball more quickly. That's not an isolated issue here and there. It's something that he does very poorly and IMO at least warrants a look at Barker.
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
      The Barker vs Towles debate is going to thrive within the fanbase. I'm not one to simply bench a starter because things aren't improving as quickly as we'd like. However, I'm really troubled by Towles decision making to not get rid of the ball more quickly. That's not an isolated issue here and there. It's something that he does very poorly and IMO at least warrants a look at Barker.
      The problem though, Stu, is that the O-line isn't doing their jobs, so it really doesn't matter if it's either Towles or Barker, they're both going to get sacked. Our O-line was terrible last night, and I'm being civilized about that. Sooner or later one or both of our QB's are going to get hurt because of the O-line deficiencies.
      What do we do then? Call Matt Roark?
      kingcat -
      Maybe the o-line needs a team leader behind them who will challenge them to play at his level
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      Maybe the o-line needs a team leader behind them who will challenge them to play at his level
      OLine needs someone in Swindel's spot that doesn't get beat at the snap.
      kingcat -
      Our defense (kudos!) made Florida's QB job just as hard. Yet the true freshman delivered big plays at crucial times.
  • KSR Twitter Feed