Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Are Coaching Challenges Unique in the SEC?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

When it comes to the coaching the SEC does it present challenges not previously seen the other conferences? Coach Andy Buh said that though he had not coached in the Southeastern Conference he felt the talent level at was equivalent to the upper half as the two power five conferences he's coached in. Those leagues being the PAC 12 and the Big 10. Offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson's bulk of experience is encompassed in much lesser leagues than that of the SEC. The bulk of his experience has been at much lesser leagues than the power-5 team West Virginia.

A lot of the offensive maneuvers are accomplished a bit easier in those leagues. Perhaps Dawson is going through an adapting phase in the SEC. He himself said that he's going to have to adjust his game plan accordingly. We are sure the fans like his offensive mentality of taking shots down the field but perhaps he's has run into difficulty on some different front's. The offensive lines have to be able to find the time to throw the ball deep. And though UK has uncommon speed for the Wildcats the defensive backs in the SEC are faster as a whole.

We can just imagine the torment Dawson and the rest of the offensive brain-trust experienced in the film room Sunday. To see the missed scoring opportunities. Mark Stoops referred to it as playing the game clean. What does playing the game clean entail? Perhaps we are talking about dropped passes, protecting the quarterback better, senseless personal fouls, and protecting the ball better. When the margin of error is as thin as UK's is when it comes to winning games those factors are larger in the SEC where speed is greater. “We didn't play a clean enough football game,” Stoops said. Give Florida a lot of credit. They had a lot to do with it.”

Stoops said they didn't allow the fans to get into the game. They put themselves in a hole and caused them to have to play behind the chains. He acknowledged that the early touchdown could have set the tone for the entire game.

The fan-base is starting to squawk about the quarterback play. Typically when the offense is not going great or the team is losing the backup quarterback is the most popular player on the team. The case in it's preset form, there may be some validity in that theory. Since the Mississippi State game 2014 Towles has 2 touchdown passes to eight interceptions. This is not a suggestion that a quarterback change be made but one has to query as to what the coaches mindset is going forward.

Shifting to the upcoming Missouri game on Saturday night. This could be the reason that the home schedule can be a big plus. It makes the game a winnable situation. Missouri is a huge enigma in the things it has been able to accomplish since coming into the league. The Tigers just typically under Head Coach Gary Pinkel finds a way to win. They Tigers are the reigning SEC East champions and are now sitting at three and 3-0 on the 2115 season. They bring to the table - regardless of their schedule – the top defense in the league. This is a typical Missouri Tigers team that fields a strong defense that traditionally features excellent pass rushing defensive ends. The Wildcat offensive tackles will again be put to the test. There is nothing statistically gaudy about the Missouri offensive. But they have a quarterback Maty Mauk though not a stats-stuffer, he is very efficient in the pocket.

The Wildcat seniors most of whom are on the defensive side of the football have stepped up this season and played well. Now the Cats have another senior back in Ryan Flannigan and in today's presser hinted he could start over Khalid Henderson. Henderson has played well this season. The defense will for the first time this season have a full boat. This is the healthiest UK has been all season. The one questionable for this week was defensive tackle Regie Meant because a bruised shoulder. As of now he will likely play against Missouri Coach Stoops said.
    Comments 1 Comment
      kingcat -
      Thanks Lonny.

Towles AND his offensive line will have to improve if we want to visit the post season. The young man should look his line in the eyes and demand they play like men...and then do the same.

The defense is carrying them like diaper babies. Two different levels of football. College level on one side..Junior High on the other.
      And it's no mystery which is which.

I say drop the Harry Potter mindset, grow a pair and fight like stinking orcs
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post