Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Can the Cats Play a Second Half Against the Gators?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

The type of occurrences the first two games are not chronic or related. The first and long situations at South Carolina was a huge contributor to the bogged down situation against the Gamecocks in the second half.

When on the road trying to sustain the offense in a place like South Carolina where the fans are raucous it is very difficult when constantly playing behind the chains. As a results 'Ole Moe' (momentum) showed up and it's a problem attempting to quell him and redirect him.

The return of Jason Hatcher should be a big boost for the Cats in terms of the depth prospects because they have received good play from the inside linebackers Josh Forrest and Khalid Henderson, both seniors. As I stated recently seniors have to lead the UK football team and to be prominent in leading the freshmen and other youngsters.

The Cats are looking to start the season 3-0 and most importantly break a twenty-eight game losing streak to the Florida Gators. Last years close call in Gainesville is something that is likely a craw-hanger that the Cats want in the worst way to regurgitate.

Last season wide receiver Demarcus Robinson had a field-day against the Wildcats in a three overtime affair that UK losses 36-30. Robinson amassed 215-yards and two scores. In two games this season Robinson is the leading receiver with 11-catches for 89-yards. The Gators have a dual threat in All-American and All-SEC Vernon Hargreaves lll who plays on both side of the football. An interesting development for the fans and for television would be a square off with between Hargreaves lll and UK's physical receiver Dorian Baker. Even if there was no winner in such a match-up, drawing attention away from UK's other quality receivers could be key. The air game could be essential to a UK victory because the Florida defensive front-seven is the strength of their team. The net accumulation on the ground in 2014 was 81-yards for the Wildcats. At today's post practice press gathering a lot of attention to the dropped pass that Dorian Baker had at the onset of the game that could have gone the distance. Offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson said the guys they put out there they put there trust in them. “They are not going to be perfect,” Dawson said. Towles said it didn't bother him that Baker dropped the pass and that he went right back to him because he knows what Baker can do. “He could have dropped four passes in a row and I would have still went back to him.”

The Cats have at times been very proficient on the offensive side of the ball showing a balanced attack. They have shown an assortment of X-plays that have gone for runs that have accumulated 14-runs over ten-yards 14-317 averaging 22.62 average. They have receptions over twenty-yards totaling seven for 217-yards 91-yards, 31-yard average. There's much consternation on whether the Cats can play a sixty minute game? And it going to require that very thing against the Gators. “The common theme the last two weeks is when we had to make plays we did,” said Patrick Towles. “I'm excited about our game plan and like the practice today. We've got to run the football.” Shannon Dawson said they will go into the game with six formations. The coach said - “We're going to have to have a good running game every week to keep defenses honest.”

Another interesting match-up would be Robinson and UK's freshman corner back Chris Westry. Can the Wildcats create a twelfth-man (raucous fans) for this game that if won will most certainly be a rush-the-field game.
    The Cats overcame a quick, easy touchdown at South Carolina, something they can't afford against the Gators. In the past the team would allow themselves to be mentally demoralized at such happenstance. Stoops has been preaching overcoming adversity and so for in this season they are finding a way to win games. This is part of establishing a culture not seen at UK in decades.
    Comments 13 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Thanks for the article Lonnie! Saturday will be special for all UK fans. OLine needs to keep us out of First and long.
      suncat05 -
      Florida just needs to take their beatdown. They have one coming. "IF" our offense will show up to play the entire game.
      That is what worries me about this game. Our offense needs to 'click' for the entire game. If they don't, we could lose this game. And by 'click' I don't mean kicking field goals, I mean by scoring TD'S on long, time consuming, sustained drives. Florida's offense isn't that good. And if we can keep their defense on the field for long periods of time, by the 4th quarter they will be tired.
      IF our offense will do their job.
      anderwt -
      Crazy hunch but I think we win by 3tds this weekend...then in typical UK football fashion, we lay an egg against Missouri the following Saturday
      Hoss -
      Why do you think we have had to "Hold on" in the 2nd half of these first 2 games?

1. Is it lack of adjustments in the 2nd half on our part. I mean are the other teams adjusting at half time and our coaches are not adjusting well on the fly to counteract it?

2. Lack of conditioning? I tend to doubt that, based on reports of the enormous gains our guys made in the offseason?

3. Is it still simply a lack of quality depth? I mean we're getting deeper, but is the drop off in talent in our reserves still a bit too much?
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
      Why do you think we have had to "Hold on" in the 2nd half of these first 2 games?

1. Is it lack of adjustments in the 2nd half on our part. I mean are the other teams adjusting at half time and our coaches are not adjusting well on the fly to counteract it?

2. Lack of conditioning? I tend to doubt that, based on reports of the enormous gains our guys made in the offseason?

3. Is it still simply a lack of quality depth? I mean we're getting deeper, but is the drop off in talent in our reserves still a bit too much?
      It's not conditioning. Did you see that we had the first 3 players down the field when we returned the extra points attempt? And clearly it is not our talent. We have plenty on both sides of the ball. But, what we don't have is experienced talent. For whatever reason we have a mental letdown at the half that results in sloppy play.
      Hoss -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      It's not conditioning. Did you see that we had the first 3 players down the field when we returned the extra points attempt? And clearly it is not our talent. We have plenty on both sides of the ball. But, what we don't have is experienced talent. For whatever reason we have a mental letdown at the half that results in sloppy play.
      Experienced talent...that makes since. Hopefully that continues to improve through the season.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
      Experienced talent...that makes since. Hopefully that continues to improve through the season.
      I'm with you! Knowing how inexperienced we are now, gives me high hopes for the end of season. I'm still scratching my head over why we fell flat on our face the last half of last season, but I believe it had a lot to do with experience and NB.
      Darrell KSR -
      During the game, I posted on the game thread in the 4th quarter that we didn't know how to win yet. I meant no disrespect.

We are learning. It's a process. I'd love it to go quickly.
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      Crazy hunch but I think we win by 3tds this weekend...then in typical UK football fashion, we lay an egg against Missouri the following Saturday
      Prayers offered up for that, buddy! And I hope you're right! But not on the Missouri game. We're going to beat them too!
      MickintheHam -
      Hoss, one other factor in our second half performance against USC needs to be considered. There was a change in USC QBs. I believe that played heavily into how we played in Q3.
      Hoss -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Hoss, one other factor in our second half performance against USC needs to be considered. There was a change in USC QBs. I believe that played heavily into how we played in Q3.
      Definitely...
      kingcat -
      Towles has not been close to the same qb in the second half of the first two games.
      First half confident, on target, and almost cocky > second half awkward, unsure, and lack of focus

Imo, it mainly points to the staff and especially Coach Stoops. Is it possible Pat doesn't readily absorb what's being pointed out at the half as compared to a few days of game preparation? Or is it just a mental block?
      Either way the staff has to find the cause and correct it quickly.

Another such second half outing and our staff must look inward for the answers. It then becomes their "red wagon"
      jazyd -
      No
  • KSR Twitter Feed