Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Passion for Kentucky football runs high in Williams family

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Stanley Williams, Sr. with Kentucky fan

LEXINGTON — It was six hours before kickoff for Kentucky’s season-opening game with Louisiana-Lafayette here last Saturday, but Stanley Williams Sr. was already ready for kickoff.

The father of UK sophomore running back Boom Williams had made the trip from Georgia with family and friends. He even had ribs ready for friends at a pregame tailgate.

But what made Stanley Williams Sr. stand out even more than usual was his attire. He was dressed in football gear just like his son. He had a jersey, game pants and cleats. He even had eye black as well as a pair of specially designed spiked shoulder pads he had created after getting a set from his son’s high school coach.

Plus, he brought a megaphone to make his pregame motivational talks to fans easier to hear. He became a fixture at the pregame Cat Walk last season and again Saturday was working the crowd before the UK players arrived and during the Cat Walk.

“I seen him going down the Cat Walk. He’s a very interesting, enthusiastic guy. A lot of people look forward to seeing him every Saturday and we look forward to seeing him out there as well,” said Boom Williams.

Stanley Williams Sr. was so inspirational before the game he filmed a promo for ESPNU that was aired during the second quarter of UK’s 40-33 win.

“It’s a joy to see him out there, especially in the outfit today. I have not seen him on ESPN, but I am pretty sure I will and he will ask me about it and tell me things about it,” the UK sophomore said after the game. “It’s just fun to see him have fun and get the Cat Walk going for us.

“He really felt like a player today and looked like one. I talked to him before the game and he wanted to get his pants up (high on his leg) like I do but I don’t think he did. But he’s still interesting to watch and see. People enjoy seeing him.”

Of course, many of those fans also enjoyed seeing Boom Williams. On the first play from scrimmage in the newly renovated Commowealth Stadium, he found a huge hole in the line and raced 75 yards to score.

“We talked all week about scoring on that first play. Just give credit to the O-line and others in on that play. Massive hole and my job was to score and get in the end zone and get us going, and I did,” Boom Williams said. W”e have to clean up some things. We have lot of players on the outside that can make plays. We have a lot of talented guys who can catch the ball. Our offense is good.

“(Quarterback) Patrick (Towles) played well. Obviously we have to clean up some film here and we will watch it and move on to South Carolina. But Patrick played well. He made some good decisions. We have a lot of players on the outside that can make plays, so it really makes him look good when we have a lot of talented guys on the outside that can make plays and catch the ball and get us down the field.”

Williams ran for 135 yards on 10 carries and almost broke another scoring run that went for 38 yards.

“I was hoping I would score. But we still scored on that drive, so we were still good and it was good to see a teammate score,” Boom Williams said.

The stadium atmosphere was also something that impressed both Boom Williams and Stanley Williams Sr.

“We just wanted to come out and get this win in the stadium. Everyone in the stands had great energy and we thank them for that and appreciate them,” Boom Williams said. “We’re not going to move too far ahead, but we’re going to work from this film and see what we can work on to get ready for South Carolina next week.”

That suits Stanley Williams Sr.

“I love this football team and place,” he said. “That’s why I get so excited before games. I wanted everyone to feel and know my passion for Kentucky football. There’s more to come. A lot more to come. Just wait and see.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed