Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• CB Neloms ready for a ground and pound game

Senior cornerback Martavius Neloms knows Sunday’s game at Louisville will be “a rivalry game in a hostile, intense environment” that the Wildcats need to win to start their season with needed momentum.

However, he also knows there’s a huge chance the game could be played with heavy rain and strong wind.

“You have to play no matter the conditions. If it is raining, it will be more of a ground and pound type of game. We will just have to stop the run or whatever their plan is. If they want to pound the ball (running), we just have to pound back,” said Neloms. “We have to stop the run any way, especially being a SEC team and playing teams that love to run. Being in the secondary you have to be able to help come up and stop the run.”

Kentucky coach Joker Phillips said he didn’t care about the conditions or where the game was played, suggesting the Cats would play “at the A&P parking lot.”

Neloms admitted he “wasn’t sure” what the A&P even was, but agreed with his coach. “Wherever we strap them up, we can try and compete and win. We don’t care,” Neloms said.

He doesn’t mind having Kentucky as a 14-point underdog, either.

“We don’t want to seem cocky or anything like that, but we know what we have to do to try and win Sunday. We are just going to let our play do our talking. We’re very confident we can win,” Neloms, who moved to safety last year and started before moving back to cornerback this season, said.

He’s not worried about having three true freshmen as the main backups in the secondary, either, since he also played as a true freshman.

‘I don’t think it is impossible to play as a freshman at all. You have to play whenever your number is called, so you always have to be ready,” Neloms said. “They come out every day to prepare just like we do to be ready for the fire if they are thrown in there. I feel like we try to make sure they get the learning curve. They will be ready. I am not worried about them.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      How about getting us two turnovers, Mr. Neloms?
      dan_bgblue -
      I'll settle for one + 4 solo tackles in the flat.
  • KSR Twitter Feed