Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Blake Bone Feels the Need to Pay Debt

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Wide receiver Blake Bone's pre-spring practice profile showed that he had an ability to make the contested catch. Bone is a Woodruff, South Carolina native that came to UK in 2014. In one of this fall's scrimmage's that the media was allowed to witness Bone made a spectacular, eye-popping, catch over the shoulders of 6-foot-4 Chris Westry. Freshman Westry has since earned a starting position at one of the cornerback positions.

Bone is now confident and geared up for the first game against UL Lafayette. Bone said his focus for coming to UK was primarily to make plays and win games, not for the facilities upgrade. "We're here to make plays nothing more, nothing less," Bone said. "We could be playing in the old stadium the next five years and the mission would be the same. With all the money they are putting in this new stadium they are opening Saturday, a night game, and all the atmosphere the least we can do is go out and make plays and that's what we're here for."

It would be easy for 6-foot-5 Bone to be looking ahead to South Carolina make plays Alshon Jeffery style catches but he has immediate business to attend to. Jeffery used his length to abused UK's smallish freshmen defensive backs.

Asked what the difference is in Patrick Towles this season as opposed to last season? "He's a lot more confident now," Bone explained. "Last year he was a little shaky around some things. This year he's taking the team with authority, he's taking command. If we drop balls, if we mess up a route, or cut a route short he's on us more than the OC (offensive coordinator). He's taking pride as a qb (quarterback) roll and he's acting as a QB one and that's what the offense needs right now and I'm excited to play with him."

Bone was asked about the tight ends and he said they are just as nasty as them. He said red shirt freshman Darryl long is yoked up now and C. J. Conrad is an across the board tight end that can do it all. "They can run block, they can compete against safeties, they can break off routes in coverage. They are just 'juice-boys' in bigger bodies.'"

He said last year they were young-bucks trying to get their feet wet. "We coming in this year with kind of a chip on our shoulders," A determined Bone said. "We didn't get the job done last year. We burned out quick and no SEC player wants to do that. We feel like we owe the city of Lexington better games to watch. lot's people look at us as lower end of the SEC standings and we think we are ready to make that jump.

Bone is just one of several potential weapons at the wide receiver spot. Shannon Dawson would not be cornered in predicting a go-to guy. He said as of now they have a group of good receivers and the game play would sort a go-to receiver. As for right now Towles will not be looking for any specific receiver.
    Comments 4 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks Lonny, that is great info. I do want to add that Towles better be looking for the tight end much more than in the past or I am going to stick a pin in his doll.
      Darrell KSR -
      Ditto on both accounts.

Lonny, you've been knocking it out of the park with great stuff. I am REALLY excited about Saturday night.
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Thanks Lonny, that is great info. I do want to add that Towles better be looking for the tight end much more than in the past or I am going to stick a pin in his doll.
      kingcat -
      Good read sir!
      Padukacat -
      Good stuff. I'm really hoping we use the tight ends a lot more across the middle, hope towles is more confident in that throw. I would like to see him spread the ball around, I think he locked on one guy last year and that guy let us down more often than expected. I really thought bone would have been looked at more after a good start but he seemed to be forgotten. I guess its hard to remember the guy down the field though when you have 350 lb d linemen running you around.
  • KSR Twitter Feed