Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Patrick Towles Proclamation May not be Out of Bounds

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Generally coaches don't like predictions like Towles made last week on the Paul Finebalm Show which air's daily on the SEC Network. But Coach Mark Stoops said he is alright with it. Perhaps it's okay as long as no one particular is pointed out.

Dicky Lyons Jr.

In 2006 UK took a shellacking in Tiger Stadium; LSU 49 – UK 0. During an off week Lyons made a prediction that the Cats will go the Mississippi State and put whipping on the Bulldogs. Former Head Coach Rich Brooks was beside himself because he deemed that as bulletin-board fodder. The Wildcats went to Starkville and squeezed out a 34-31 win. Lyons made a spectacular, leaping, one-handed catch on the back-line of the end zone that ended up being the winning margin. That win started a four game winning streak that catapulted the Cats into a bowl and a string of five bowls in a row. Brooks' wrath came down on Lyons that required him to run after practice but eight to ten of his teammates ran with him.

The Towles prediction is one that perhaps the coaches are put in a must win situation and Stoops was asked if liked the proclamation? “Of course I do,” Stoops emphatically stated. “You don't want a kid getting on national television saying we want to win a few games.” But he stated you don't say things unless you put the work in. Will August 22 be looked back on and be the start of an even bigger string? Time will tell. The quarterback who is the on the field leader may have put everybody's feet to the fire and could create a positive for the entire team. Stoop has said in no uncertain terms they should be better in the third year of his tenure.

The irony of the whole thing was Stoops after saying the team had made some good progress especially on the defensive side of the ball, the team went out on the practice field and threw in two straight stinkers. We stated that if the Bear (Bryant) was here and the rules permitted, after Saturday's scrimmage, he would have them back on the field that very night. That is exactly what Stoops did and several of the players tweeted that it was a fun practice and Drew Barker among said it was the best practice they had ever been a part of.

Shannon Dawson said as for as Towles national proclamation is concerned - “I like the confidence he is showing. He the leader of the offense and that's what I want to see from him. I loved it.

A Home Run – “I think I hit a home run with this offensive staff,” Dawson said. “It's a good meeting room and it's made my job a lot easier. I lucked up with these guys.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      Kacat -
      I've heard kids make predictions that are cocky and arrogant. Most coaches don't like those. What Towles said was simply confident. What's the starting QB suppose to say, hey I think we are losing 5-6 but just praying for a bowl. Come on. The young man handled himself well and represented his teammates, his coaches and his school with class and poise. Just like you want a leader to do.
      kingcat -
      I liked it. That wasn't Harry Potter stuff..it was pure Klingon
  • KSR Twitter Feed