Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Is Dezmine Wells worth it?

Would Dez Wells help lead to # 9?

First, this is not about what happened or didn't happen at Xavier. I don't have any idea what really occurred, and neither does any of us besides the parties involved. I do know that if a grand jury fails to indict--with no defense lawyer there presenting any exculpatory evidence--it is "a" sign. It does not necessarily mean innocence, but it is something to consider.

And I hope people don't read this wrong, but I am all about giving kids a second chance. And yes, I mean 20-year old "men." While I condemn criminal acts and acts of violence, and hope that this was a misunderstanding, I also praise those who can take a person and allow him that second chance, hopefully creating an environment surrounding him with good influences.

So it's not about that. It's about basketball.

Dezmine Wells is a 6'4 G/F from Xavier University, a sophomore who averaged 9.8 points, 4.9 rebounds per game as a freshman, shooting almost 38% from 3-point range and 50% from the field. Excellent statistics, and Xavier plays a good schedule, and has a good reputation as a basketball school.

He's a RSCI ranked # 54 recruit, Rivals.com ranked # 76, Scout.com ranked # 44.

A good player. But is he a great one?

While the kneejerk reaction may be to see how he can help the team this year, he would be a transfer. As we know, NCAA rules state that a transfer must fulfill one year in residency at the new school in order to be eligible (fall and spring semesters), absent an NCAA-granted waiver.

A waiver that is discretionary.
    A waiver without firm rules.
    A waiver that would beg the question by the NCAA, "where is the young man transferring?"
    A waiver that when the answer is, "Kentucky," may get a different response from President Emmert and his cronies than if the answer were, "Duke University," or "U-Dub."

No guarantees of immediate eligibility.

Now you have a scholarship tied up this year, as a redshirt season. And next year as a redshirt sophomore, and the following year as a redshirt junior, and the following year as a redshirt, 5th year senior.

Maybe that's not a bad thing. And maybe he's a two-and-through, or three-and-free to the NBA kinda player anyway.

But it does make you think. Would this keep a top 10 recruit away from signing in 2013? 2014?

This isn't the Rick Pitino waiver-wire University, where scholarships continue to go through metamorphisis and players on scholarship suddenly find it in their best interest to leave the University. While John Calipari may not have kept everyone on scholarship when he arrived at Kentucky, there can be no doubt that players he recruited, players he promised a scholarship, are players he keeps.

Is Dezmine Wells worth it?

I'm not saying he is, or he isn't. Just asking the question.
    Comments 25 Comments
      ukpumacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      I don't think he is, particularly if he sits out. I think that gives Maryland all the ammunition they need to get the Harrisons. But maybe Cal thinks Maryland gets the Harrisons anyway.
      No way Cal pursues Wells if he thinks there is ANY chance it hurts us with the Harrisons. I think he knows the Harrisons are coming, and I don't think Wells would affect them anyway. He might affect Young or Williams...but not the Harrisons or Wiggins.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by goodycat View Post
      One thing to keep in mind is that Xavier has a police department but the Cincinnati Police Department also will investigate offenses that occur on campus (actually depending on where on campus the offense occurs the City of Norwood may investigate). Maybe the report you saw was referencing the on campus police.

Either way, in Ohio, a police department can submit a case to the Prosecutor's Office for their consideration without filing any formal charges. The Prosecutor's office then has discretion to present the matter to the Grand Jury (or to not present it). In serious cases of this nature, it is common for a Prosecutor's Office to choose to present the case to the Grand Jury for their determination. However, Ohio law does not require a Prosecutor to present a case to the Grand Jury. A Prosecutor can simply decline to prosecute.
      Well that was kind of my point. Prosecutors generally aren't required to present cases to the grand jury. They aren't in Kentucky and I've never heard of a state that does require that. So, now that the prosecutor has come out on Wells' side and said that it was "fundamentally unfair" that he was even dismissed from school, I'm left wondering why the case was presented to the grand jury at all. Obviously neither the prosecutor nor the police believe any wrongdoing occurred.
      Darrell KSR -
      May not make a difference after all, but I did see another side to him transferring to Kentucky that wasn't all good.

If he still manages to come, of course, I'll be his biggest fan. No problem with the kid. Just wasn't 100% sure it was worth it. I had my doubts, but if he would be the difference in UK winning a title and not winning a title, well, any doubt would be erased.
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      May not make a difference after all, but I did see another side to him transferring to Kentucky that wasn't all good.

If he still manages to come, of course, I'll be his biggest fan. No problem with the kid. Just wasn't 100% sure it was worth it. I had my doubts, but if he would be the difference in UK winning a title and not winning a title, well, any doubt would be erased.
      If he is eligible for 2012-13 then I want him 100%.

If he has to sit a season, that is a bit trickier. 75% perhaps.

Taking the trip to Memphis may mean Sandy Bell told Cal there was no way he would be available for this season. Multiple sources thought this was nearly a
      "done deal" including really good ones at Scout, Rivals, etc.

Darryl
      GhettoBird -
      May still be a done deal. Cal seems to always encourage kids to take visits. The real questionns when is the last date he can enroll?
  • KSR Twitter Feed