Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Is Dezmine Wells worth it?

Would Dez Wells help lead to # 9?

First, this is not about what happened or didn't happen at Xavier. I don't have any idea what really occurred, and neither does any of us besides the parties involved. I do know that if a grand jury fails to indict--with no defense lawyer there presenting any exculpatory evidence--it is "a" sign. It does not necessarily mean innocence, but it is something to consider.

And I hope people don't read this wrong, but I am all about giving kids a second chance. And yes, I mean 20-year old "men." While I condemn criminal acts and acts of violence, and hope that this was a misunderstanding, I also praise those who can take a person and allow him that second chance, hopefully creating an environment surrounding him with good influences.

So it's not about that. It's about basketball.

Dezmine Wells is a 6'4 G/F from Xavier University, a sophomore who averaged 9.8 points, 4.9 rebounds per game as a freshman, shooting almost 38% from 3-point range and 50% from the field. Excellent statistics, and Xavier plays a good schedule, and has a good reputation as a basketball school.

He's a RSCI ranked # 54 recruit, Rivals.com ranked # 76, Scout.com ranked # 44.

A good player. But is he a great one?

While the kneejerk reaction may be to see how he can help the team this year, he would be a transfer. As we know, NCAA rules state that a transfer must fulfill one year in residency at the new school in order to be eligible (fall and spring semesters), absent an NCAA-granted waiver.

A waiver that is discretionary.
    A waiver without firm rules.
    A waiver that would beg the question by the NCAA, "where is the young man transferring?"
    A waiver that when the answer is, "Kentucky," may get a different response from President Emmert and his cronies than if the answer were, "Duke University," or "U-Dub."

No guarantees of immediate eligibility.

Now you have a scholarship tied up this year, as a redshirt season. And next year as a redshirt sophomore, and the following year as a redshirt junior, and the following year as a redshirt, 5th year senior.

Maybe that's not a bad thing. And maybe he's a two-and-through, or three-and-free to the NBA kinda player anyway.

But it does make you think. Would this keep a top 10 recruit away from signing in 2013? 2014?

This isn't the Rick Pitino waiver-wire University, where scholarships continue to go through metamorphisis and players on scholarship suddenly find it in their best interest to leave the University. While John Calipari may not have kept everyone on scholarship when he arrived at Kentucky, there can be no doubt that players he recruited, players he promised a scholarship, are players he keeps.

Is Dezmine Wells worth it?

I'm not saying he is, or he isn't. Just asking the question.
    Comments 25 Comments
      Bakert -
      I'm going to assume that he can play at UK and by that I mean play a meaningful role, something akin to what we got from Josh and Deandre, not what it looks like we are going to get from Hood and Beckham. If that is the case, and there is no evidence he will be a problem, then I think you take him for the simple fact that as of yet Cal has proven you can win with nothing but very gifted freshmen. Many want to point to last year's team as validation of that theory, but doing so greatly discounts the roles Miller, Jones and Lamb played. My point is that Cal at some point has to find a way to balance the classes a bit. A guy like Wells who would be around for maybe three years after getting a year to get acclimated, learn the system, and learn from playing against the team we have this year could prove to be invaluable going forward. If we get the class we think we are going to get for 2013-2014 it will make no difference as those guys might be able to complete the deal the first Fab 5 couldn't. But what if in the next couple of years the talent is not quite as good or, God forbid, Cal whiffs on a couple of guys. We will need some upperclassmen who can play. I guess I'm still not convinced that you can win year in and year out with nothing but freshmen, and also don't believe that as of yet it's been done.

And if this is a guy who would scare off a top 10 recruit, would we really want that kind of guy? I guess another way to think about it is this - do you believe Wells would ever be as good as Miller was? Was there any concern that Miller would scare off recruits?

FWIW, here is a nice piece by Eammon Brennan from yesterday: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...-dezmine-wells
      KSRBEvans -
      In Cal I trust, especially on recruiting issues. I know it's dangerous to take this approach, but he said when he first arrived that he recruits givers, not takers, and his track record recruiting at UK shows that to be the case. I don't know a thing about this guy, but if Cal wants him, I trust that he's not going to be a disruptive influence and is worthy of having a spot on the roster.
      Darryl -
      Darrell, my thoughts:

1. Brian Snow of Scout and Corey Albertson of Rivals/Cats Illustrated both know Wells
      very well. Brian put out a post that he would be a reference for Dez if he needs one.
      As a person, both said he was the hardest worker on Xavier's team and an outstanding
      young man. They have no problems at all with him.

2. Yesterday Evan labeled Wells a "MAJOR impact player"

3. Brian Snow first posted about Dez 10 days or so ago. He said he will be a 1st round NBA
      pick in 2 years, and would be an immediate help.

4. Corey Albertson calls him a 1st round pick also.

5. Gregg Doyel labeled him a "stud" for whatever school gets him

IMO, if he gets eligible this year he makes Memphis a top 10 team; Maryland a top 25
      team, and UK the pre-season #1 over Indiana.

If he is not eligible this year, the only player he impacts is #8 James Young. A 3rd year
      Wells is much better than a frosh Young. Wells is a tenacious defender; Young isn't. We
      will still get the Harrisons, Wiggins, and maybe Randle. The 6-5 Wells in the backcourt
      with 6-5 twins and holy-moly...teams may not score from the guard slots.

We would get a possible 1st rounder to fill a slot that Beckham or Polson are slated for
      right now. No offense to them, but that is a major upgrade.

Also, using my "recruit talent points" system, UK overtakes UCLA as the most talent laden
      team in the nation.

Would LOVE to get him (you probably knew that already)

Darryl
      akaukswoosh -
      I don't think he is, particularly if he sits out. I think that gives Maryland all the ammunition they need to get the Harrisons. But maybe Cal thinks Maryland gets the Harrisons anyway.
      Philly Cat -
      A few disjointed thoughts on the whole thing:

1) Guaranteed that he won't play this year, if the NCAA has anything to do with it. Their track record with UK is too long, and this is too "easy" a call for them to make w/o looking bad (worse!).

2) If he practices all year and learns the system, he can be a peer-leader for the monster recruits that we will bring in next year. It's one thing to have Cal teach them; it's another thing to have their brother teaching them.

3) He can also use the year to get better at his shooting and improve other deficiencies.

4) Also, as someone else said, it brings some balance to the classes. That's always a good thing.

5) Anyone know if he plays defense? I know it can be taught, but I'm curious about his reputation for defense.

6) I can't see why this guy-- who apparently wants to go to the NBA after 2 years-- would be willing to come to UK if Cal only wanted him to fill the Beckham/Pollson role on the bench. Darryl, I just don't see WELLS wanting that, even if Cal wanted that for him. So, if he comes here, I think it's with the intention to compete for meaningful minutes.
      Darryl -
      Draft Express write-up from last year:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dezmine-Wells-6251/

Darryl
      UKFlounder -
      I've thought of this scenario before and it may not be reasonable, but I'll throw it out in this discussion - could he come to UK, sit out a year due to NCAA rules, then try to go pro next year anyway, based only on 1 year of playing and one year of practicing under Cal?

I've been kind of afraid of us having a transfer try that - come here & not ever play - but that may be totally unreasonable. Still I think disucssion over Wells may be a good time to ask about it, so here it is
      Philly Cat -
      Also, FWIW, Wells got the Chris Paul seal of approval on Twitter. Not sure how they came to know each other, but I trust CP3's player evaluations!
      IkeCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      I've thought of this scenario before and it may not be reasonable, but I'll throw it out in this discussion - could he come to UK, sit out a year due to NCAA rules, then try to go pro next year anyway, based only on 1 year of playing and one year of practicing under Cal?

I've been kind of afraid of us having a transfer try that - come here & not ever play - but that may be totally unreasonable. Still I think disucssion over Wells may be a good time to ask about it, so here it is

If he turns out to be good enough to pull that off, wouldn't it be worth using a dormant scholly just to have him to practice against?
      BarristerCat -
      I know this post wasn't about the legal issues, but one point on that: As I recall the situation the police didn't even present the case to the local prosecutor. In fact, the police "cleared" the case. So, not only was it never presented to the grand jury, but it stopped even a couple of steps short of that. That's a pretty strong sign, IMO -- about as strong as it gets.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post

That would be so unprecedented I admit my first reaction is a less than objective or team oriented "cool". lol. Would be an interesting problem for the roster, but boy would it give Cal recruiting ammunition. Just practicing with Cal gets you to the NBA? Would sure help kids get sold on not starting.

I'd fall over backwards if the NCAA granted him a waiver to play at UK immediately. At any other school yes, but not UK. Even if his old school closed and the city was sold and moved to Dubai they wouldn't cut UK a break and they have NO problems at all hurting kids to suit their political agendas.
      UKHistory -
      I am still uneasy due to the school's rationale but it would appear that the local authorities feel the young man has been treated poorly.

Generally I believe in the sitting out for a tranfers. I especially think it is appropriate when players switch schools due to sick relatives. I think in those situations it makes more sense to spend time with the loved one than play ball and travel.

But I do think Wells should be allowed to play immediately for whatever school under these circumstances. I am very surprised that the DA would be so up front that the expulsion was an over reaction on Xavier's part.
      CitizenBBN -
      IMO it should be a black letter rule that if a player is expelled he can play elsewhere immediately. The reason for the transfer rule is to prevent players from hopping around and schools from recruiting them to do so, but if the school kicks them out that's not the kid's decision and he shouldn't be punished by the NCAA. Even if he did something that deserved expulsion, the NCAA has long maintained such standards are the purview of the schools, not the NCAA. That's why there are no rules about felons playing college sports.
      goodycat -
      Actually, Barrister, it was presented to the Grand Jury and they chose not to indict. There were never any actual charges filed by the police, just a presentation to the Grand Jury.

That being said, I don't know much about Dez Wells but I do know that I would never hesitate to have him come to UK based upon the allegations that led to his expulsion from Xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
      I know this post wasn't about the legal issues, but one point on that: As I recall the situation the police didn't even present the case to the local prosecutor. In fact, the police "cleared" the case. So, not only was it never presented to the grand jury, but it stopped even a couple of steps short of that. That's a pretty strong sign, IMO -- about as strong as it gets.
      goodycat -
      The Xavier situation should not make anyone uneasy about Wells coming to UK.

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      I am still uneasy due to the school's rationale but it would appear that the local authorities feel the young man has been treated poorly.

Generally I believe in the sitting out for a tranfers. I especially think it is appropriate when players switch schools due to sick relatives. I think in those situations it makes more sense to spend time with the loved one than play ball and travel.

But I do think Wells should be allowed to play immediately for whatever school under these circumstances. I am very surprised that the DA would be so up front that the expulsion was an over reaction on Xavier's part.
      daveinmaine -
      Seems like an unusually long visit. Is that my imagination?
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by daveinmaine View Post
      Seems like an unusually long visit. Is that my imagination?
      There is lots of chatter Wells is enrolling at UK as we chat.

Darryl
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by goodycat View Post
      Actually, Barrister, it was presented to the Grand Jury and they chose not to indict. There were never any actual charges filed by the police, just a presentation to the Grand Jury.

That being said, I don't know much about Dez Wells but I do know that I would never hesitate to have him come to UK based upon the allegations that led to his expulsion from Xavier.
      I had not seen the report from yesterday. It seems odd that it was initially reported that the police had cleared the incident and yet someone still bothered to present the case to the grand jury. I wonder if Ohio law requires the prosecutor to present a case to the grand jury under certain circumstances. It certainly doesn't sound like the prosecutor thought it should have been taken that far (he is now saying Xavier was wrong in expelling Wells).
      daveinmaine -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      There is lots of chatter Wells is enrolling at UK as we chat.

Darryl
      Well then....it does take time to enroll, choose classes, etc.
      goodycat -
      Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
      I had not seen the report from yesterday. It seems odd that it was initially reported that the police had cleared the incident and yet someone still bothered to present the case to the grand jury. I wonder if Ohio law requires the prosecutor to present a case to the grand jury under certain circumstances. It certainly doesn't sound like the prosecutor thought it should have been taken that far (he is now saying Xavier was wrong in expelling Wells).
      One thing to keep in mind is that Xavier has a police department but the Cincinnati Police Department also will investigate offenses that occur on campus (actually depending on where on campus the offense occurs the City of Norwood may investigate). Maybe the report you saw was referencing the on campus police.

Either way, in Ohio, a police department can submit a case to the Prosecutor's Office for their consideration without filing any formal charges. The Prosecutor's office then has discretion to present the matter to the Grand Jury (or to not present it). In serious cases of this nature, it is common for a Prosecutor's Office to choose to present the case to the Grand Jury for their determination. However, Ohio law does not require a Prosecutor to present a case to the Grand Jury. A Prosecutor can simply decline to prosecute.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post