Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Wildcat depth takes a hit

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky's depth for this season took somewhat of a hit Monday.

Defensive back Jaleel Hytchye and middle linebacker Dorian Hendrix both have decided to transfer while the NCAA refused to grant waivers to Nebraska transfers Courtney Love and Greg Hart that would have made them eligible this season.

“Right now it was denied,” Kentucky coach Mark Stoops said. “So we have one more appeal going with Courtney, but I feel like Greg’s will be denied.”

Hendrix became the third player in Kentucky’s 2014 recruiting class to decide to leave UK since the end of last season. He joins offensive linemen Josh Krok and Nick Richardson, both Ohio products like him and Hytchye.

Hendrix was the first verbal commitment in the 2014 recruiting class and was playing behind Josh Forrest — a position where only redshirt freshman Nico Firios is now left after the denial of Love’s appeal.

His departure surprised me. I still remember talking to his mother, Devonna, after the first time I interviewed him and was impressed with his maturity and interviewing skills. That’s when she told me she had trained him for years on how to handle interviews so he would come across well.

She also shared how he became close friends with UK redshirt freshman receiver Thaddeus Snodgrass, who committed to UK after Hendrix.

“I took him to Kentucky and met coach (Vince) Marrow and coach Stoops and it was pretty hard not to like them. They are great guys,” his mother said then. “He made that decision and was adamant about his decision. Anybody that has coached him has always said what a good leader he is. He takes pride in his leadership ability. He is very loyal. Once he is on board, he is part of the team and will do all he can to help. If that means going out and getting guys (recruits), he’ll do it. It’s part of his personality and love for Kentucky.”

Hytchye had the same passion for UK and will always have a special place in the Stoops era at UK because he was the first high school player to verbally commit to play for Kentucky under Stoops. He was a four-star cornerback from Cincinnati and the start of the Ohio pipeline to UK for Stoops and Marrow, both Ohio natives.

Hytchye played a role in convincing another Ohio standout, Marcus McWilson, to sign with UK in 2014. He was one of those who helped convince Louisville’s Jason Hatcher to switch his pledge from Southern California to Kentucky.

He played in eight games as a freshman and had seven tackles against Georgia in his only start. However, last year he played in just one game and not only was behind the same players this year but had also fallen below at least two freshmen on the depth chart.

That’s why his departure is not quite as surprising as that of Hendrix even though I don’t remember ever talking to a player that was more excited about coming to UK than Hytchye.

Love and Hart knew when they transferred that they likely would not be allowed to play this year. Hart, a tight end, would provide needed depth and experience at tight end like Love would at linebacker. Hart redshirted in 2013 and played mainly on special teams last year.

Love also redshirted his freshman season in 2013, but he played in 12 games in 2014 with six total tackles.
    Comments 9 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Transfers are a part of life, and routine in major college football. Actually, football at every level. But it still always makes me just a little sad that things don't work out the way they planned.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Larry, I vividly remember the accounts regarding Hytchye's recruiting efforts. Passionate is the correct word to describe his efforts.

This is a huge disappointment….the departure of these young men. 4-Star, in the case of Hytchye. Football team's Derek Willis?
      Terry Blue -
      Guys, they weren't going to play, freshmen had over taken them on the depth chart. That's why they left. It's one thing when an upperclassman is ahead of you but when younger guys overtake you, then it's hard to see where you get a chance to play
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      The depth chart at MLB, Hendrixs' spot, next year has three four star guys ahead of him. Hytche was third team this year and probably wouldn't have been on the seventy man travel squad next year.

Good kids who were simply recruited over.
      suncat05 -
      While this will hurt with depth, especially at LB, in the long run UK benefits because our football staff is bringing in true high quality players.
      Wherever they go, I wish them all the best, and thank them for their contributions to Kentucky football.
      It's stuff like this that just happens, and why I say that it will be another 2-4 years before we are where we want to be in relation to the rest of the SEC. I have said all along that it will take CMS & staff about 6-7 years from the start to make Kentucky a yearly competitor for an SEC East title. We're rolling into year 3 now. It will be okay.
      And I still believe we can pull in 7 wins this season.
      CatQuick -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post

A new experience for fans of the football team.
      jazyd -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      The depth chart at MLB, Hendrixs' spot, next year has three four star guys ahead of him. Hytche was third team this year and probably wouldn't have been on the seventy man travel squad next year.

While that is nice and I understand him transferring, all it takes is a few injuries and all of a sudden that third string starts. I hope Stoops tried to talk both out of leaving. Last year Ole Miss had lost a starting guard to transfer to Auburn and then had several OL go down with injuries during the year, the run game was terrible because they didn't have the backups.
      If the kids were good enough in the beginning, then Stoops hopefuly stood by them, if they weren't then he should not have recruited them.
      kingcat -
      No excuses this season imho. This is Coach Stoops team and about as talented as we're going to get unless we amaze some folks this year

Admittedly, we can yet improve by gaining some experience. But I am firmly in "show me" mode and I believe most of the fan base is also. Excited?, yes. Patient?...no sir!

But I appreciate those who are

Go Cats!!
      Terry Blue -
      Recruiting is not a perfect science, that's the main thing. Coaches don't hit all home runs and recruiting services often don't even hit singles. Did you see where Drake Jackson got DROPPED from their top 250 by rivals after at times dominating 5 star guys at a recent camp? Do you think because he's going to UK, that had a little something to do with that? I do.
  • KSR Twitter Feed