Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• The Football Cats Looking for a Lift at Inside Linebacker

The defensive coordinator D. J. Eliot went into fall practice thinking for the first time at UK the scramble isn't on for quality, experienced bodies to fill those slots. The bad news is, on the contrary because through injuries and sickness the aforementioned is not the case. Junior transfers like a lot of juco's there a sharp learning curve and especially in the case of Ryan Flannigan because he arrive just before the beginning fall camp last season. He made significant progress in the latter stages of the season and in spring practice. A few days ago Flannigan suffered a shoulder injury that is keeping him out of practice. Monday Coach Stoops announced that Jordan Jones would miss two weeks with an illness. Jones was impressing in practice so much so he was slated to get a lot of playing time behind Flannigan.

“I felt like we improved a little bit today,” Stoops said. “We were sharper in our assignments. We're making some progress and it's a big week for us and we need to continue to push this week.” Stoops said they joke around out some in practice and he likes to chirp at the db's when they are not making the plays he feels they should make. Stoops said - “I told them out there today I'm an offensive coach when they score (laughs). Who do you think comes up with those plays.” He said it's a grind especially during two-a-day (practice) and you have to have fun out there. Stoops said freshman Eli Brown came to them and ask to play. I said good lets go play. He's good enough to play. Coach Eliot said he has gained about fifteen pounds since he's been here. Brown originally was a Candidate for a redshirt.

Stoops talked about how some of the younger players stepped up in practice today. Below is some of the standouts of freshmen and juco's.

Stoops said he like the progress Josh Allen. He said there are so many nuances for that position and it's a learning process. Andy Buh said he like Allen's frame and shortly he will be 250-pounds. “I love his size, speed, and quickness,” Buh said. “Right now he's doing some good things. He shows flashes of outstanding play everyday.”

Sihiem King – It has been said more than one time by more than one person that this young man is too good not to play. He is slash and dash on the football field.

Nico Firios – Eliot said he has very good instincts. “He finds a way to get to the football and he is a physical football player.”

Courtney Miggins - “He can help us right away,” Eliot said. “I like his size, speed, an athleticism. He has the right mindset and mentality.” Defensive line coach said Miggins stayed in shape during the summer. He said he is a fast learner and takes notes in the meetings. Was he a surprise to get. Back on signing day Coach Marrow was doing a talk show and was handed a note saying Miggins had committed to Kentucky. Marrow was both elated and surprised because he thought they were losing him to Mississippi State. “He ought to have asked me,” a smiling Eliot stated (laughs).

Derrick Baity: Eliot said like Chris Westry Baity has good size and good speed as well.

Again these are just some players to date less talked about.
    Comments 2 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Interesting on Eli
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Lonny, appreciate the inside stuff.
  • KSR Twitter Feed