Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Being a leader important to UK commit Mac Jones

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Florida quarterback Mac Jones always intended to pick a college before his high school junior season started.

“There was no reason to wait,” said Jones. “I knew Kentucky was the right place for me. With all the money they have put into the program and the direction the program is going, I just realized it would not get any better for me than Kentucky.”

The 6-2, 175-pound Jones played for The Bolles School in Jacksonville.

“We have won 11 state finals, but have been the last four years and have just won one, so I want to change that,” Jones

Jones came to Kentucky once when he was 4 or 5 years old “when his parents went to a horse race or something” and came back this year.

“I got to soak up the atmosphere when I was there,” Jones, who says he tries to mimic the quarterback swagger that New England’s Tom Brady has, said. “I am going to come back for the Florida game. We already have that scheduled. Hopefully I will get up to one or two more games as well.”

When Jones did verbally commit to UK, it set off a flurry of six commitments in the next few days.

“Honestly, I wanted to be a leader and being the first to commit in the (2017) class was a big deal,” Jones said. “I started talking to other guys with others and knew they had some big interest. So it was kind of intended to maybe get some other guys to commit, but that was not the reason I committed.

“I did know that (receiver) Russ Yeast was probably going to commit but I didn’t know about (defensive end) James Hudson and (running back) Mike Warren would also commit. I called them and tweeted at them told them why they should do it. They both committed that day along with Russ. I knew they were iffy, but it’s really good to have them on board. I am going to keep doing that and want to get some Florida guys up here, too.

Florida sophomore receiver Jermaine Eskridge became the first commitment in UK’s 2018 recruiting class when he committed a few days after Jones. The 6-3, 185-pound Eskridge ranks among the top 30 players nationally in the 2018 class and the No. 2 receiver. He had scholarship offers from Florida, Florida State and Miami already as well as Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Southern California, Virginia Tech, California and Louisville.

“He lives about three hours away, but we have met at 7-on-7 competitions and know each other,” Jones said. “He had big-time offers but picked Kentucky. He’s part of a group messaging we have. We are going to go to the Florida game together. One of my goals it to talk to the all Florida guys Kentucky is recruiting and try to explain to them what is going on with all the (stadium) renovations).

He says family members and friends are “excited” about his decision and like head coach Mark Stoops and offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson.

“A lot were not that familiar with Kentucky football. They know about basketball, but now they want to learn a lot more about Kentucky football and that is exciting to me,” Jones said.

His mother told him not to go to a school that was not renovating facilities now so they would have “top-notch facilities” when he got there.

“Kentucky also offers a wide range of academic courses, so I have a lot of options. But that advice from mom was probably the best advice I have ever been given,” Jones said.

Dawson’s advice was not bad either, when he saw Jones, then a 5-9, 150-pound freshman, at a West Virginia camp.

“I was definitely not a Division I prospect then, but he saw my potential and said to stay in touch,” Jones said. “When he got to Kentucky, he called and said he wanted to see me throw. I went up there and he was still the same guy as he was at West Virginia.

“He’s a great coach and has the ability to recognize potential. He knew that I was going to blow up eventually and him being able to see that in me meant a lot. I have not played as much as some quarterbacks but this year I will finally have a chance to play a full season but that did not bother him.

“The other thing is he is so nice. My parents and I really liked him. He is a funny guy, too. Yet his principles fit me the best. There’s just nothing not to like about him from my point of view.”

Jones doesn’t know if he will be able to enroll in January of 2017 or not.

“I don’t know if my school will allow me to graduate early. I have gone to school there for 13 years and hope they will give me some leeway. I definitely hope I can figure out how to graduate early, but I don’t know if I can or not,” Jones said.

Former Atlanta Braves star Chipper Jones also went to The Bolles School in Jacksonville. However, he’s no relation to Mac Jones.

“I have met him and he actually played football in high school, too,” Jones said. “People sometimes ask if we are related, but we are not.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed