Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• King realizing his dream at Kentucky

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Given a choice or trying to run around or over a defender, Kentucky freshman running back Sihiem King will always make the same choice.

“I am going to try and make them miss. That is my cup of tea. I ain’t going to try and run anybody over, not at my size,” said the 5-9, 180-pound King.

Still, he was named the Georgia Offensive Player of the Year by the Georgia Sports Writers Association after rushing 279 times for 2,090 yards and 37 touchdowns in 15 games last season while leading his team to the Class AAAAAA state championship. He ran for 1,439 yards and 17 scores as a junior and finished his carer with 3,781 yards rushing and 55 scores.

He’s known for his acceleration and all-purpose skills that should fit well in UK offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson’s system.

“He’s picked it up fast. He comes from a great program. They get coached hard at Colquitt County. They did a great job with him,” Dawson said. “You never know how young kids are going to come in, how far ahead or far along they’re going to be. He’s showed up already, which is a positive.

“The kid’s got a lot of ability; he’s explosive. He’s just like those other guys we’ve talked about. He’s a young guy. It’s hard to sit there and talk about young kids when you haven’t put pads on a lot.”

King is behind returning running backs Boom Williams, JoJo Kemp and Mikel Horton. However, he has quickly impressed coach Mark Stoops with his punt return ability, an area where UK lacked a playmaker last season.

Stoops isn’t sure if he would avoid redshirting King just because he could return punts.

“If they’re gonna make a significant contribution. That’s the big thing. If they can start on two or three phases and have an impact, not just plugging somebody in there, then we would do it, with the understanding that we can continue to bring them along on offense or on defense,” Stoops said about redshirt decision. “But I think anybody that can help us win games, we’ll play them, in whatever capacity that is. We figure if they help us win games, that’ll help us recruit better players, too, right?”

King has a good relationship with the other running backs.

“Me and Boom crack up all the time with each other. JoJo is like that big brother that tells you everything you need. He guides you and tells you everything that you need on and off the field,” King said. “Mikel is like a big brother, too. He is always telling me what I need to do. Other day we watched film together and that was good.

“All us running backs can do the same thing pretty much. My deal is I can bring speed, but we can pretty much do the same thing.”

King says he has to be fast.

“I am small, so I just bring speed to the table. That’s all I can bring,” he laughed and said.

Is he faster than Williams?

“I don’t know. I can’t say that. I don’t know. We have never raced. I can’t say I am, but can’t say I am not either,” King said. “But Boom is just pure talent. He can do great things.”

King is happy to be at Kentucky.

“Coming here is like a dream come true. Not many players get to play in the SEC. I thank the man above for giving me the opportunity to show my talent and get the exposure I am going to get,” King said. “I feel so blessed to be here and to be in a new stadium my first year. That’s a great feeling.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Stoops isn’t sure if he would avoid redshirting King just because he could return punts.

“If they’re gonna make a significant contribution. That’s the big thing. If they can start on two or three phases and have an impact, not just plugging somebody in there, then we would do it, with the understanding that we can continue to bring them along on offense or on defense,” Stoops said about redshirt decision. “But I think anybody that can help us win games, we’ll play them, in whatever capacity that is. We figure if they help us win games, that’ll help us recruit better players, too, right?”
      Yup
      anderwt -
      He looks the part that is for sure..nice to have great depth at the RB position
      CatQuick -
      It's a little worrisome for me to have a true freshman returning punts, but given the consistent description of his playmaking skills it will also be nice to have a game changer on the special teams.
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by CatQuick View Post
      it will also be nice to have a game changer on the special teams.
      An understatement imho.
  • KSR Twitter Feed