Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Barnhart: Cats feel pressure, but progress required, not bowl game

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart said Friday that “obviously we want to reach a bowl game” but emphasized making continual improvement was more important.

“The goal in every sport is to get to postseason play. Bowl games are important. That is a step. We want to compete for championships and that is a logical step. Is it imperative? No. The reality is it is a step by step deal,” said Barnhart.

He also said the $180 million being spent on renovating Commonwealth Stadium and building a new football training facility puts no added pressure on coach Mark Stoops.

“We just want to make progress. I think we all know what that feels like and looks like. We have seen this group of players get better with this staff. They are continuing to grow players,” Barnhart said. “We continue to see improvement and that is what I like most. These guys are doing that at a fairly rapid rate.

“I don’t think there is anybody at the administrative level or coaching level that does not feel pressure. They all feel incredible pressure to perform for Kentucky. I don’t think if you are in this thing and have a heartbeat that doesn’t feel pressure. Mark is competitive guy and I am sure there is not a moment he is not thinking about what next step is.”

Barnhart knows the stadium renovation has caused issues for some fans who have had to change seats and that some worry whether the stadium will be ready for the opening game Sept. 5.

“Change is not unemotional. What I have found over time is if we want to move to where we want to go where we want as a program, we have to move. We cannot be stagnant,” Barnhart said. “That caused us to have to move some things around. There were some people who sacrificed and some folks clearly not happy with the way we did seats. But at the end of the day, I think everybody is going to enjoy it.”

He said the reduced seating capacity will not be “cozy” but will be “pretty cool” for fans.

“There may be fewer seats but it is where everybody will have a better experience,” Barnhart said.

He expects that certainly to be the case when UK hosts its first ESPN Thursday night game in October against Auburn, the preseason choice to win the Southeastern Conference.

“Overall people are fired up. It is a wonderful way to showcase our university. Every once in a while that Thursday night game is pretty cool,” Barnhart said. “It is the first time we have had this opportunity. We will have the nation’s eyes on us on Thursday night and a great opponent coming in to play us. I hope it is one of the great memories in things we create this year.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      ETWNAPPEL -
      he played it pretty much like he needed. I'm sure some will find fault because he can do not right in some eyes. If he says a bowl game is expected and they reach it, then they just did what was expected. This way it can be celebrated as an achievement. But I would be willing to believe that the AD's office and the coaching staff all "expect" to be in a bowl game.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      he played it pretty much like he needed. I'm sure some will find fault because he can do not right in some eyes. If he says a bowl game is expected and they reach it, then they just did what was expected. This way it can be celebrated as an achievement. But I would be willing to believe that the AD's office and the coaching staff all "expect" to be in a bowl game.
      I think he handled it right. Have to say we want to see progress, but that's so general it's safe and you're right if you make a bowl the minimum you undermine the positive of getting to one.
  • KSR Twitter Feed