Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Hannah Storm and Karl Towns are "Face to Face" Thursday

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Photo Courtesy ESPN

Hannah Storm believes Kentucky fans are going to “love” her segment with former Wildcat Karl-Anthony Towns on Face to Face with Hannah Storm, a SportsCenter special debuting Thursday at 7 p.m. on ESPN.

“I think Kentucky fans are going to eat it up,” said Storm, an award-winning ESPN host and SportsCenter anchor. “He feels like he was at Kentucky longer than a year because he loved it so much. He knew it was the right thing to go (to the NBA), but it was hard. He loved his time there. He likes school, class and all the interesting people in college. It’s not as easy for some of these guys to leave as people think and it was tough on a young man like him who enjoyed college.”

Towns was the No. 1 pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the NBA draft after helping UK to a 38-1 season and Final Four appearance. Others featured on the show will be DeMarco Murray, Adam Jones, Missy Franklin, Pat Haden, Michele Roberts and Mo’ne Davis.

Storm said she was looking for athletes who had been in the news in a big way the last year but still could be in the news for a long time.

“I think he has a fascinating future. We were all talking about him before the draft and then saw him get drafted,” Storm said. “Now what is he doing. What’s his day like? Who is this guy behind the scenes? He has not got the full NBA marketing machine behind him yet.”

Storm wanted something a bit different with Towns than the sit-down studio interview she had done before. She’s never been one afraid to do a different type interview. She’s been to a zoo with kids, worked out with NFL star Arian Foster, done yoga with NFL star Clay Matthews and gone hiking with UFC sensation Ronda Rousey.

Now she can add cooking — “That was right in my wheelhouse,” she said — after her visit to Towns’ home in New Jersey.

“I was interested in his family dynamic and how that formed who he was,” Storm said. “What kind of young man was going into the world and how did it all get started. I went to his house and it was really cool. I cooked with his mom. I cooked some Dominican food that he really liked. I learned to cook one dish with potatoes and he said it was really good and he had a huge plate for dinner. We just rolled on the conversation in the kitchen.

“I got some real insight into him from his mom during our chat. It was really a good way to get in and meet his parents. We just sat at the kitchen table and did the interview and he was super comfortable. He’s such a funny kid. I had interviewed him before in studio, but that’s different and you do not get a huge sense of who he is.”

Towns, an avid golfer, had just returned from playing Bethpage Black Course in New York, a challenging layout for the world’s best players.

“I know he can hit it a long way and loves golf, but Bethpage is something else,” Storm said. “He had his golf clubs out, but the thing I came to really appreciate was that he had so many interest. There was a guitar at the house, a piano. All these things he has tried over the years. One thing he said is that he does not see basketball as a be-all, end-all. That’s not what you expect the No. 1 pick in the draft to say. But that’s not to stay he will be distracted and not pay attention. He’s just a guy who will be a great player but who will also take care of his off-court stuff and make sure he has life after basketball.”

Photo Courtesy ESPN

While some players might not have liked to play for Minnesota, Storm thinks it could be a “great fit” for Towns because of his personality and demeanor.

“I think he is the kind of guy that can fit in and make an impact and does not have to be in a big market like LA or New York to do that,” she said. “He just loves the game.

“I asked him how he would cope with losing after winning so much in high school and Kentucky. He said, ‘Who says we are going to lose?’ I love that mentality. And he’s really excited about learning from (NBA all-star) Kevin Garnett.”

Storm knows few athletes might have let anyone into their home to cook and be with the family like Towns did.

“His agent really trusted me. I get that,” she said. “I did go out to dinner with DeMarco Murray before the interview to get to know him better, but I have not cooked dinner for anyone before like that. His parents are the coolest people. They do not baby him but toe that line between discipline and nurturing him. It was just a good feeling of trust we all had and it was fun to let him be down to earth and just discusss everything.

“It was a lot more personal. I think the goofy part that Kentucky fans know will come out in the interview. He talks about how hard it was to not get to the championship game and how he was not convinced he would be the No. 1 draft pick. I just think Kentucky fans will eat it up.”

Other Guests
    Here’s a brief look at the other guests who will be on Face to Face with Hannah Storm Thursday at 7 p.m. on ESPN along with Towns:

— Running back DeMarco Murray, heading to his first season with the Philadelphia Eagles, who discusses events that led him away from the Dallas Cowboys.
    — Olympic medalist and world-record-holder swimmer Missy Franklin, who recently turned pro after passing up millions of dollars to attend college, touches on her place in the endorsement world with the Summer Olympics on the horizon.
    — Trailblazing National Basketball Players Association executive director Michele Roberts, the first woman to head a sports union in the United States, gives insights into who she is.
    — University of Southern California athletic director Pat Haden speaks candidly and emotionally of the things that matter to him the most, including his family.
    — Mo’ne Davis, the 2014 Little League World Series sensation, on what her life in the past year has been like and her interest in history and civil rights as she prepares to enter high school.
    — Baltimore Orioles centerfielder Adam Jones discusses the civil unrest that took over Baltimore earlier this year and speaks about what he’s doing to give younger generations an opportunity towards success
    Comments 12 Comments
      kingcat -
      Great stuff right there! It also made me hungry.
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks for the heads up Darrell. I get to be a couch potato for a little bit so I can make sure not to miss that.
      blueboss -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      Great stuff right there! It also made me hungry.
      Yep, and the food looked appetizing too.

KAT is going to do very well for a long time, even after basketball fades. He is a high character kid, and it's no surprise Cal was so high on him for other reasons other than his ability on the court.

Bethpage Black ....nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      jazyd -
      Every time I watch her I keep an eye on that upper lip as she does all she can to keep it down. When she first started a long time ago, she showed those big choppers of hers and had to learn to tone down the smile. still funny to me.

should be good interview and good for Cal and the program. Great young man, will be a huge success at some point in time and will be good at basketballa lso. Can see him in congress some day.

But I hope he stays away from Garnett, he has a terrible reputation as a real turd.
      Darrell KSR -
      I'm just wondering why both Karl and Hannah are holding the clubs cross-handed.

Might be answered in the "Face to Face" feature. Is Hannah left-handed, and she wanted to try Karl's clubs for size? And Karl just wanted to see what it was like to swing left-handed? That doesn't seem right, because he appears to be moving forward with the club.

Oh, well.
      dan_bgblue -
      Reminder bump
      Darrell KSR -
      Good reminder. I am about to head back from Bakert's part of the woods and will be home in time to watch it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
      blueboss -
      Yep, DVR already set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Krank -
      Missed it... will it be rebroadcasted?
      LarryVaught1 -
      It will re-air 3 times
      8/8 at 2pm on E2
      8/9 at 5am on E2
      8/9 at 2pm on ESPNEWS
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      It will re-air 3 times
      8/8 at 2pm on E2
      8/9 at 5am on E2
      8/9 at 2pm on ESPNEWS
      Thanks Larry!
      LarryVaught1 -
      Just watched Hannah Storm and Karl again. Really a fun, well-done story that was great PR for Kentucky
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post