Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Opposing HS Coach on Isaiah Briscoe

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    I worry with forced shots and doing too much.
    He does not appear to be a great shooter.
    He's a better outside shooter than you think.

He's at least capable of getting hot once in awhile?

Comments 11 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      I suspect that opposing coaches said similar things in private about Wall, Bledsoe, Knight, Crawford, Chapman, DA, etc.

I am in wait and see mode, as always, to see all the newcomers perform before I start deciding whether they fit in and can be part of another really good team.
      kingcat -
      I think he will be the best guard we have. That is saying a lot

I don't think we've had a distributor of his caliber under Cal at UK.
      catmanjack -
      Hoss -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      He's a better outside shooter than you think.

He's at least capable of getting hot once in awhile?

ajp40505 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      I think he will be the best guard we have. That is saying a lot

I don't think we've had a distributor of his caliber under Cal at UK.
      You're right that's saying a lot. A couple of things to note occurred in the last week. First Joe B said it would be difficult to keep Mulder out of the lineup based on his experience and ball skills. Then yesterday Matt Jones related a conversation that he had with someone close to the program (probably an assistant coach) who said we shouldn't all assume that Briscoe would be one and done. That tells me that folks watching the pickup games have concluded that Briscoe is no where near the best guard on the team.
      kingcat -
      He is certainly behind Ulis at this point I would imagine. Ulis is familiar with most of his team mates.
      Still..pick up games tell us very little and more often than not, are flat out misleading.

Briscoes ability is not a question however. The kid is a star recruit with an NBA future
      Philly Cat -
      I hope the Cal "message machine" starts churning out content about how every player "succeeds and proceeds" at his own rate-- some are one-and-done, but Patrick Patterson, Terrence Jones, and others show that more experience is required for the game to slow down enough to facilitate a long pro career (even for McDonald All-Americans).

I've said before that freshman-PG judgment for Murray/Briscoe is one of the only weaknesses that I see in our back-court. I don't want guys auditioning for the NBA and getting nervous if their first 15 games don't go great... so they try to do more, which just leads to more mistakes, etc.

Murray allayed a lot of my fears in this regard with his play on Canada's national team. Now it's Briscoe's turn. If he plays unselfishly and doesn't try to over-do it, I think he could be special in Year One and a Top 10 pick in Year Two... and yes, this is all without seeing him play a college game, so I acknowledge that it's rank speculation.
      DanISSELisdaman -
      I agree Philly! It's all on Briscoe. I he comes in with a good attitude and listens to Cal, the sky is the limit, but if he tries too hard to be "the man," it will not be fun. I hope he is willing to share the ball and not play out of control. In the games I have watched him, he tried at times to do it all and didn't look that good doing it. Granted, it was the Mickey D. allstar game and I think the Jordan Classic (?), and some players tend to get a little wild in them.
      kingcat -
      I thought each of those two All Star games were inundated with players showcasing their skills more than trying to win. If anything it seemed more important to Briscoe than many others in that he made some great passes.
      In the NGC, Briscoe was brilliant in every facet of the game imo. Proved more of a true pass first point guard than any player on the court.

But a couple of people pasted a label on the kid that many now subscribe to, which is entirely unfair as I see it. Strangely, he seems disrespected and overlooked by many Cat fans, never having played a game
      No one here, just a general observation

He is the real deal and will display the same toughness that Ulis has in his short time here. I'm almost certain
      ajp40505 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      He is certainly behind Ulis at this point I would imagine. Ulis is familiar with most of his team mates.
      Still..pick up games tell us very little and more often than not, are flat out misleading.

Briscoes ability is not a question however. The kid is a star recruit with an NBA future
      You're right about summer pick up games being misleading, but that's because we get the observations from a guy off the street who's son is in one of Cal's camps. The true basketball guys like ex-coaches know what they are looking at. Joe B used to say who starts and who doesn't isn't nearly as big a deal to the players as it is to the fans and that's because the kids play against each other every day and they know if they are better or worse than the guy they are going against.
      kingcat -
      As has been said about Murray, you'd never know from watching him practice how well the kid responds when the lights come on and the curtain goes up.

Somehow I don't see Briscoe struggling as a freshman, but we will see.
  • KSR Twitter Feed