Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mark Stoops on Recruiting & Vince Marrow

From Larry Vaught --

Question: Is recruiting now where you thought it would be at this stage or maybe a little ahead of what you might have anticipated?

Stoops: “Quite honestly it has probably gone a little better than I anticipated. I knew what I was getting into with the rebuild at Kentucky, but we have everything we need to be successful or I wouldn’t be here. The obstacles come in that it takes times. Nobody likes to hear that. They say you have time and then two years later want you in SEC championship. That is not time. I am quite confident in building a program and developing your players, but you need good ones. Then when you get good ones, the problem is you have to develop for two years. But I am encouraged and pleasantly surprised with way it has gone. I feel very good about classes we have signed and this class for next year has a chance to be absolutely exceptional. As a group, it has been amazing. This group is very united and very tight.”

Question: What makes Vince Marrow such a good recruiter?

Stoops: “His personality is so good and he’s so approachable. He is so unique. When I go into a home, usually things are formal, buttoned up. Guy gives me three pages of notes when I go in. Not with him. You just walk in, kick back and hang out with the family and that’s what they love. They love the relationships. He is very unique the way he goes about his business. He is a very likeable guy, but he works extremely hard at it. He is very different. We are good together because we know each other so well. Sometimes I have to straighten him out a little bit because he gets too comfortable. But he does such a good job. I just think it is his personality and his presence and work effort. Just the comfort level people have with him is his special quality. That is what is so nice for me. When I go into a home and I am in the living room and it is always a joy. Sometimes go better than others, but not with him. Every home visit with him is kind of a celebration. Most of the time we have them committed already and he is so tight with the families that when we go in it is just a joy and we can’t get out of there. Usually it is about a three-hour home visit where we are just hanging out, eating, socializing. Usually the whole neighborhood is in there and it is a celebration. He has done a very good job.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      suncat05 -
      Love, love, love to hear this stuff! We have the right man sitting in the captain's chair now, and his staff is good. It is still going to take some time yet, but we will win soon @ Kentucky1
  • KSR Twitter Feed