Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mark Stoops on the Kentucky Quarterbacks

From Larry Vaught --

Question: What about an update on quarterbacks Patrick Towles and Drew Barker?

Stoops: “I have not put Patrick No. 1 on paper yet because I want people to earn the position. He has done a lot of good things to be starter, but he has to continue to progress and improve and earn job just like everybody else. We change our depth chart around a lot to keep guys on edge and not get complacent. Drew has done some very good things and has earned the right to compete for that position. But I am very pleased with Patrick. How could I not be? When we got here that first spring with Jalen Whitlow, Max Smith and Patrick, I was excited to watch them all and it is was wide open. Patrick came out of that spring third. He came out in the fall third. He redshirted and came out of next spring one and won the job. He is impressive and have quit bragging about that, but that is the quality we want instead of “poor me, the coach is wrong and I will transfer.’ He wanted to know what he needed to improve on and then he went out and did it. I greatly appreciate it. He did some exceptional things at times last year and other times things improve on. Everybody on team is like that. I am pleased because he embraces competition and stays on edge and is getting better like you would expect. That message trickles down to rest of team.”

Question: What do the quarterbacks have to do to get better?

Stoops: “Patrick has a chance to be a great quarterback. He missed easy throws last year, and he knows that. But also we need to get better around him to where he is more confident. But the routine plays have to be routine. To win games in the SEC, when we have routine plays they better be done. You see the flash but sometimes not the routine. I see him getting much better than that.

“With Drew, it is just playing. He never had the opportunity to get out under the lights and play. I believe he has that playmaking ability, that ‘it’ factor when you get under the lights and see somebody emerge. Again, consistency. Sometimes overconfidence and force things and get an interception. Next time unbelievable play. That is fine line quarterbacks have to deal with all the time.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post