Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Drake Jackson proved he deserves more respect and so does UK football

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Drake Jackson admits he was “pissed off” when he got to The Opening at the Nike World Headquarters in Beaverton, Ore., last week.

The Woodford County offensive lineman, one of Kentucky’s commits in the 2016 recruiting class, was one of just 21 offensive linemen invited to the prestigious national showcase that featured some of the nation’s best defensive linemen.

“I get a lot of crap from a lot of those players for being committed to Kentucky,” said Jackson. “I was a lesser known player. I was going out to show what I could do. I knew if I was going to make them realize I was there, I had to dominate.”

Apparently he did just that, too.

He got into skirmishes with 6-7, 320-pound Raekwon Davis and 6-4, 360-pound Kendell Jones, both Alabama commits, the second day of competition. The 6-2, 300-pound Jackson, the smallest offensive lineman at the camp, also had a brief skirmish with 290-pound Ed Oliver, a Houston commit.

“I don’t think anybody expected that. I wanted to leave with everyone’s respect, and I think that happend,” Jackson, who was named one of the camp’s top five offensive linemen, said. “I didn’t plan to fight anyone. I think I just got some bigger guys frustrated and they started giving me shoves. I wasn’t going to take that. I was not going to back down from anybody. I think I was able to stand out and think I exceeded expectations and showed them what I was about.”

Video of Jackson going against Davis created a national stir and it was reported that Davis called Jackson “three star” to insult him.

“When he yelled, he was actually yelling three star at himself,” Jackson said. “He wasn’t yelling at me. They (media members) kind of twisted that story around. He’s a big guy, maybe the biggest I have ever seen in pads. I am not used to being the smallest offensive lineman, but he was huge.

“But being smaller actually helped. As long as I was playing the way I should be, I would always be underneath them and have leverage. I am also stronger than those guys. But I’ve learned in order to dominate, you have to have leverage. You can’t just rely on pure natural strength against guys that good.”

Jackson hopes his performance solidify not only his national status, but also gives Kentucky football and Kentucky recruiting a boost.

“When I committed to Kentucky over Ohio State and Alabama, a lot of people said I really did not have commitable offers from them,” Jackson, ranked as the nation’s No. 1 center in the 2016 recruiting class, said. “I think I kind of solidified that I did have those offers and that Kentucky did beat out Ohio State and Alabama for a player. That speaks well for Kentucky football that they can bring in guys who are legit.”

Jackson says he will benefit this season playing for new Woodford head coach Dennis Johnson, a former all-Southeastern Conference defensive lineman at Kentucky.

“He is so well known. He is really going to help me out and help me learn how to focus even more on football,” Jackson said. “For me, it’s not about (recruiting) stars and rankings, but about going out and winning high school games and getting ready for the next level.”

He said Johnson put the players through a rigorous offseason obstacle course.

“It was the hardest obstacle course I have ever run,” Jackson said. “He really pushed me. I know he’ll have a lot of stuff like that all season to push me and I like that.”

He also got some tips from former UK all-SEC offensive lineman Larry Warford, who now plays for the Detroit Lions, in Oregon. He was one of the offensive line coaches.

“I was the first guy to talk to him when he got introduced,” Jackson said. “I introduced myself and told him who I was. He definitely loved his decision to play for Kentucky and gave me some advice about playing in the SEC and playing at Kentucky. He was a big help.”
    Comments 13 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      Great write-up Larry. Going to be interesting to follow him this year. Seems to have the necessary moxy for sec football.
      Dokker -
      Thanks Larry, this was a great read. I don't follow football recruiting and names all that much, but Drake definitely made a fan outta me. We need all our recruits and players to have this healthy chip on their shoulder.
      Terry Blue -
      Stud
      LakeCat -
      Build a SEC OL as Stoops appears to be doing and then you will begin to see what our playmakers really can do. It will take a full five years for MS to get all the pieces in place but IMO it will be worth the wait.
      dan_bgblue -
      Excellent read Larry V. I am really looking forward to seeing Jackson on the field next year and beyond. His take no prisoners approach to the game will be a welcome sight
      CGWildcat -
      Great stuff from the kid. Probably a fan favorite already.
      Terry Blue -
      Drake will probably RS next year playing behind the All SEC type Center, Jon Toth
      CatQuick -
      Great read Larry and was interesting to hear Dennis Johnson was coaching at Woodford. Good to have the ex UK guys in the coaching ranks.
      snoopcat -
      Already one of my favorites.

Reminds me of that All American center that Alabama had a few years ago. Undersized but very aggressive and efficient. Name slips my memory.
      MickintheHam -
      The key to winning in the SEC is line play and solid Defense. The offensive line seems to be in good shape if this attitude continues.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
      Already one of my favorites.

Reminds me of that All American center that Alabama had a few years ago. Undersized but very aggressive and efficient. Name slips my memory.
      William Vlahos or Barrett JOnes. I believe William was smaller.
      Terry Blue -
      Dennis's brother, also played at UK, is also on Woodford County's staff
      snoopcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      William Vlahos or Barrett JOnes. I believe William was smaller.
      It was Barret Jones that I was referring to. He was so much smaller (at least shorter) than the rest of thr Alabama line.

You have a better memory tha me!
  • KSR Twitter Feed