Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Some Q&A from LB Avery Williamson

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

Some Avery Williamson quotes to get you through one of the last few days without college football in your life:

On the development of Tyler Brause at the LB position (currently listed at the top of the depth chart at WLB):
    “He’s really been stepping up and making plays. He’s running with us at 1’s at the WILL position and he’s running MIKE with the 2’s. He’s really been working hard this camp and he really surprised me stepping up and taking that 1 spot.”
    “I’m proud of Brause. He’s doing real good. He’s a really smart guy and he picked up on the system real well. They transitioned him to a WILL linebacker and I feel like he’s a defensive guy that can really play that position…He’s a pretty tough guy and he’s got great size. The best thing about him is he’s smart, he really can diagnose things. I mean he’s a quarterback…he’s got a real brightness about him.”

On the comment Coach Rick Minter made about Williamson being “the man”…
    “He knows that I put in a lot of time this spring and this summer on learning my plays and it really showed this fall because I made a lot of plays in camp and knowing what everyone else is doing on the defense. If you go out there and put the extra time in, you’re gonna make plays.”

On preparing for Louisville…
    “The tempo’s been good. The coaches have really been pressing us to go fast in practice and try to get used to game-like situations – we talk about hurry up offense and they really been pressing the tempo in all aspects of practice – special teams, and offense and defense.”
    “They (Louisville) have some great athletes…They have a good quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater is a good quarterback, I’ll give him that credit and we just got to go in there and get ready to stop the run. They have a good Wildcat system as well, so if we go in there and shut down the run, I feel like we can really do some damage to the offense.”

On Teddy Bridgewater specifically…
    “He has a good arm but he can run with the ball too. You’ve got to really be careful when you’re dropping down in coverage at the linebacker position because he can take off in a heartbeat and he can really take up some ground.”
    “When Bridgewater came in (last year), he did light it up. He took advantage of our mistakes, we weren’t sound in the secondary and at the linebacking positions and really all over the field, we weren’t sound because we weren’t making the right calls. He took great advantage of our missed cues.”
    “I plan on getting me some sacks in this game too. I feel like Bud on the edge…that’s gonna wreak havoc I feel like. We got a great defensive line, we really should get some hits on the quarterback…. I love them quarterbacks. I haven’t really had the chance to hit the quarterback since I’ve been here, you know, minimal playing time, but I’m excited about it. I’m ready to.”

On how good it would feel to “put a lick” on Bridgewater if Williamson were to be squared up against him on Sunday…

“Ah, it’d be real nice. Just got to go out there and take advantage every time. You got to show him it’s not gonna be a finesse game. If you go out there and put a good lick on him, he’ll really be looking for you next time.”

On how the UK defense has improved this year…
    “The fact that we really know what we’re doing this year… Last year there was a lot of confusion and even at the linebacker position, we were confused on making different calls and this year, we really got it down and there’s a lot more team commitment this year. That’s why I’m so excited about what’s in store for this season.”

On the fan negativity and the fact that UK will be the underdog against Louisville…
    “A lot of people are doubting us, so we just got to go in there and believe in ourselves. We’re pretty much the only people that believe in us…We’ve proved a lot of people wrong in different games, and I feel like this is a game to prove everybody wrong in.”
    “We didn’t make a bowl game last year, we lost to Louisville… it’s disheartening, I’m sure, as a fan. And as a player, myself, I was upset going home and not going to a bowl game. I’m sure some of the fans are kind of upset with us and that’s our job, to gain that trust back and go out there and win some good games for them this fall.”

On the trash talk coming from Louisville…
    “I really don’t pay attention to all that talk because it really doesn’t mean anything. What matters is what happens on the field. I’m not really the type to put stuff on twitter. I just go out there and talk with my pads. It makes you mad but you can’t really do anything about it ‘til game day.”

On how he has improved as a player within the last year…
    “It’s a good feeling. I really know what I’m doing out there now, so I can be the guy that’s out there eating up all the tackles. I know where the run is gonna go and I know how to make plays now so it’s a good feeling to know that I can just go out there and dominate.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      Badinage -
      Wow. Sounds great!
      dan_bgblue -
      Terrific job with the Q&A Ashley. Love your style of letting the answers rule the report. Man, I hope 2/3rds of what he believes in shows up on the field for the defense.
      LarryVaught1 -
      Ashley is super, super good. She is better writer/reporter than many who are much older and have had many years of experience in this field. Going to be a future star just like Williamson
      JimHarris -
      Well, Williamson doesn't lack for confidence that he can"dominate" on the field--and that is good, if he can do it.
  • KSR Twitter Feed