Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Guy Morris returns home to Lexington

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON— He was an offensive line coach at the University of Kentucky from 1997-2000 under Hal Mumme and then head coach for two years at UK before taking the head job at Baylor.

However, Guy Morriss said he always wanted to get back to Kentucky and has always considered Lexington “home” for him and his wife, Jackie. Now he’ll soon be living full-time in Lexington again after accepting a job as special assistant football coach at Lexington Christian High School.

“It is going to be fantastic to be back in Lexington. I can’t wait to get moved. I have been trying to get back for several years. We just kind of made a leap of faith to see if we could find a home. We have always loved Kentucky and wanted back to it,” said Morriss, 64, during a break from his work Friday at the C.H.A.M.P. Camp in Lexington conducted by former UK player Champ Kelly.

“This feels like home. We bought a house in our old neighborhood. Lot of our friends are still there that were there 20 years ago. It just feels like home.”

Morriss went 2-9 his first year as head coach at Kentucky before the Cats went 7-5 in 2002 — a year they were not bowl eligible because of NCAA infractions in Mumme’s tenure. At Baylor, he went 18-40 in five years. He came back to Kentucky to work as an assistant coach at Kentucky STate before he spent the next four seasons as head coach at Texas A&M Commerce. Morriss returned to the high school ranks last season as an offensive line coach at Warren Central.*

Morriss had interest in the head job at Boyle County High School at one time and also the opening at Mercer County last summer. However, he’s happy to be at LCA now.

“LCA is a terrific school with a great young coach and outstanding facilities. I am glad to be working with the young men like the ones they have,” Morriss said.

He’s had a farm outside Perryville in Boyle County since his days at UK and still likes to go there. Recently he was in Danville for the Great American Brass Band Festival and also spent a day recently at Millennium Park with his wife and one of his grandchildren.

Morriss had just as much fun at Kelly’s camp that attracted young players from cities across the state. Kelly played at UK when Mumme and Morriss were there. He had been with the Denver Broncos first as a scout and then assistant director of pro personnel before taking a spot with the Chicago Bears as director of pro personnel in May.*
    “I think it is in everybody’s heart to want to give back to young people. When there’s no money involved with some kids, we are going to try and help out those kids that deserve a chance to get coached a little bit. All of us played and you want to give back to upcoming generations. That’s why I do it. If you ask rest of the guys (here at the camp) ... and they love being out here,” Morriss said.*

Several players who played at Kentucky under Mumme and/or Morriss were working at the camp at Lexington Catholic High School Friday and Saturday as well.

“I stay in touch with lot of guys. Lot of them are sitting here today,” Morriss said Friday. “A lot of them are talking with Jackie on Facebook. I don’t do Facebook, but she does and has a relationship with all of them still. Mama Morris has not changed at all. She is out of her mind to be back in Lexington. She is very anxious to get back and renew a lot of friendships.”

Morriss, a Texas Christian University graduate, was picked in the second round of the 1973 NFL draft by Philadelphia. He play 15 years as an offensive lineman for the Eagles and New England Patriots. He played in the 1985 Super Bowl with the Patriots.

The former UK coach recently took a tour of the renovations at Commonwealth Stadium and said it was “awesome” to see. He has no regrets that Kentucky did not pour as much money into the football program during his time as it is now.

“The timing might not be really right but it doesn’t bother me. You take a job and work with what you have got and do the best you can. I am happy for them. The kids deserve it, the university deserves, fans deserve it. It is time to be a competitor in the SEC,” Morriss said.*

“This will help elevate the program. Players today that they are recruiting want to enjoy the creature comforts wherever they go. Well, they are going to get to enjoy them here at Kentucky because it is going to be nice.”

Morriss joked he was “still trying to work out something” to secure Kentucky football season tickets.

“We saw a game last year, Mississippi State. It was fun to tailgate. That was the first Saturday I had off to come up and just be a fan. Tailgated with some people and enjoyed the football game,” Morriss said. “Now I can spend even more time doing that. I can also go fishing and do other things. It’s different, but certainly fun.”
    Comments 5 Comments
      jazyd -
      Glad he is back, unlike many I didn't blame him for leaving.
      KeithKSR -
      It's a long way to a high school assistant from an SEC head coach. Semi-retirement?
      Terry Blue -
      I believe in forgiveness, if he needs any, and am glad he's back and not bitter about his time at UK. Wish we'd announce him at one of the games
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      I believe in forgiveness, if he needs any, and am glad he's back and not bitter about his time at UK. Wish we'd announce him at one of the games
      Why should he be bitter? He coached here, received a higher paying job offer and took it. A business decision.
      ukpumacat -
      Cool story
  • KSR Twitter Feed