Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Some media predictions on UK-Louisville

Who is going to win Sunday’s Kentucky-Louisville game? That’s a question I posed to various statewide media members to see what the consensus might be.
    Of the eight media members I polled, only three — Ryan Lemond, Tom Leach and Ashley Scoby — picked Kentucky to win. Larry Glover, Hal Morris and Keith Taylor expect decisive Louisville wins. Two of my favorite media folks, Mary Jo Perino and Mark Buerger, went with Louisville but don’t feel a UK win would be impossible.

Mary Jo Perino, WLEX-TV: “Louisville. “Even with Max Smith as the starter, I still think I give the advantage to Teddy Bridgewater and his receivers. Both teams will have very different mindsets, UK will be trying to prove everybody wrong and Louisville will try to prove everybody right. I think in that opening game in Louisville, I think the Cardinals will be flexing their muscles just a little bit more.”

Mark Buerger, WLAP Sunday Morning Sports Talk: “As much as I hate to say it, I think Louisville wins, but I don’t think it will be the laugher that some people are predicting. I think Kentucky keeps it close (and could win), and I hope that’s enough to get fans into Commonwealth the next Saturday.”

Ryan Lemond, Kentucky Sports Report: “I’m one of those guys who is starting to believe that Kentucky can ‘pull this game out.’ The closer and closer we get to kickoff, the more I’m finding myself believing Kentucky can do it. I just think U of L is way over-rated right now. They lost to Marshall and Florida International at home last year and barely beat a struggling UK team. Their record will be good this year because they play in a super weak conference. UK would have a great record in that conference. I just think the build-up and the hype may lead to U of L being way too over confident. I’m sure Joker is using that idea to his advantage and is telling his players, ‘Nobody thinks you guys can win this game! Nobody is giving you guys a chance!’
    “Kentucky comes in with a ‘chip on their shoulder,’ and pulls out a close one 17-14.”

Keith Taylor, Winchester Sun: I believe Louisville has the nod in this one, simply because the Cardinals are playing at home and because Louisville enters the contest with high expectations. At the same time, Kentucky has nothing to lose and everything to gain. However, the unknown factor could hurt he Cats in this one. The Cardinals have experience, a veteran quarterback and leads the series 6-3 when the games are played in Louisville. Louisville yanked out a 24-17 win in Lexington last year and I think the Cards will do the same this time, but with more spacing in the final margin. Louisville 34, Kentucky 17.”

Tom Leach, UK Radio Network: “I understand why Louisville is favored, but I'll be optimistic and pick the Cats. And I base it on more than just hope. In horse racing terms, the Cards are the one with the better past performance page. But sometimes, a trainer can see his horse training in such a way that he is confident it will out-run its record the next time out. There is a much more positive vibe around this Kentucky team — and I see the potential for many more playmakers than last season —so I think the Wildcats can be better than they look on paper. There's no way to be certain if that will be good enough to get the win over UofL but I will be surprised if the outcome has been decided by the time the fourth quarter rolls around.”

Ashley Scoby, vaughtsviews.com: “I may be in the minority here but I think UK will pull this one out. The players have maintained a lot of poise when it came to Twitter and trash talk - that leads me to believe that they're focusing on football and nothing but. With Max Smith being named the starting quarterback, I have a lot more confidence with how the offense will perform. Smith is an experienced quarterback in the SEC (and Louisville isn't even SEC). The Cats' defense may be young, but this freshman class is incredibly athletic. If the coaching staff has effectively instilled some fundamentals in them as well, the freshmen/young guys can really contribute. I also feel like Louisville has a LOT of confidence, without having really proven anything yet. I'm sure the Cards will be a good team this year, but how good? They were ranked when the Cats unexpectedly beat them in 2007, so this year might be the perfect storm for UK. What could really hurt the Cats' chances is the fact that the game is at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium - a big factor in this game will be how many UK fans decide to show up in Louisville. Whatever the outcome, I don't think it's going to be the absolute blowout of UK that everyone seems to expect. The young Cats have a lot to prove, and the Louisville game is the first step in that journey.”

Larry Glove, Larry Glover Live: “I think Louisville wins this one. Make it 31-18 UofL. I believe Cardinals are a little better and being at home should give them an added punch. That said, I don't think UofL is a great team by any stretch of the imagination and won't be shocked if UK wins this one. Remember, underdogs have done well in this series."

Hal Morris, Advocate-Messenger: “Louisville will win simply because Louisville is better at just about every position. They have a talented, experienced quarterback in Teddy Bridgewater, can go four-deep at running back, have a big fast defense and have explosive receivers, even with the loss of Michaelee Harris. Louisville is still young, but the Cards have played a lot of young kids the last two years, so they are experienced.
    “The key matchup will be if UK’s inexperienced offensive line can hold up against the Cardinals’ deep defensive line and give Max Smith time to throw, and open up holes for the backs. Having Josh Clemons in the backfield would help, but Kentucky may have to rely on its two true freshmen (Justin Taylor, Dyshawn Mobley) a lot, and that will be too much to ask. If the game gets into a kicking contest, give the edge to UK, but it should to come down to that. Optimism may be high among the Wildcats, but everyone is optimistic in the preseason.
    “Prediction: Louisville 31, Kentucky 14.”
    Comments 11 Comments
      jazyd -
      I didn't see Larry Vaughts prediction
      MickintheHam -
      That's pretty sobering Larry. We should have put Uavel in our rear view mirror a long time ago. I still believe UK wins the game. Uavel may be better at every positon, but I believe at a lot of those positions the differences are very small and not enough to overcome an inspired UK team. We will be inspired, won't we???
      Jeeepcat -
      This is all about Teddy IMO - if he were not there or ineligible *cough* UK gets the unanimous nod.

Everyone assumes that HE can score at will on us and we just can't score. May be true. But I am thinking out offense will be A LOT better than expected and Teddy won't be as effective as the legend that precedes him. He aint Tebow LOL.

Newton threw for 255 against UL last year - shouldn't Smith do even better?

We gave up 6 sacks last year - shouldn't we do better?

They gained 4.5 yds per carry last year - key to the game IMO - can't allow this AND expect to stop Teddy.
      Catfan73 -
      Someone might want to tell Keith Taylor that UK is actually 4-3 in PJCS, not 3-6.
      Catonahottinroof -
      Hal Morris.....more talented at every position? Based on what? Geez.....
      Darrell KSR -
      How dare Larry Vaught run a poll and post the names of the contributors. What would Gossip Goodman think?
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
      Hal Morris.....more talented at every position? Based on what? Geez.....
      IMHO the fact our players should have a Chip on their shoulders the size of Mt Rushmore due to all the reported Fan Negativity vs UL's Overconfidence from the media & Pt Spread.

Max Smith's passing ability, our Bigger Faster RB's coupled with a healthy talented OL & WR's (though young) able to create huge plays should make KY much more capable of putting pts on the board. (fact the media is totally overlooking)

Special teams that are able to score pts (totally overlooked)

Defense that should be better due to 2nd year with DC and reportedly much more talented overall. (Also Overlooked)

But IMHO the most important fact of all is the fact we have BETTER OC & DC. Better overall Talent across the board than before. (Biggest Question ??? Will Joker let them do their jobs, if he does then I believe we can win this game based on the fact we are better overall if we utilize all these positives) Go Cats!!!
      jazyd -
      UK may have a chip on their shoulder, they may be more talented than last year, may be better on offense but I try to look at things objectively and I look at UL being very young last year with almost every position have a new fact at it. So are all of you saying that UL won't be better than last year? That they haven't gotten better since last year? Its kinda like fans saying well we are much better than last year so we should have a better record, w/o thinking the other teams don't get better either. Others improve also, fact of life.

Now, who has improved the most is what we should be asking and can Joker get more out of his offense than strong can get out of his defense. Is Joker a better offensive coach than Strong is a defensive coach? Answer those two questions objectively and you will have your answer on who 'should' win. Last year UK 'should' have won easily, had the experience, the home field advantage, SEC team versus BE, UL was extremely new and young all across the field, a whole new OL and yet UL won. Strong outcoached Joker last year. Will he this year?
      LarryVaught1 -
      three months ago didn't think game would be close. two weeks ago thought UK might make it reasonably close. Today almost ready to talk myself into picking UK. We'll see what happens the next few days
      Catfan73 -
      Jazy, UL's own press release for the game shows that they only have 15 players on the whole team that have started more than 6 games. 15! Last time I checked, football requires 22 players not counting special teams. They can claim to have 18 returning starters, but the truth of the matter is that they have very little experience and almost non-existent depth. If we game plan right, it'll make a huge difference.
      truecatsfan -
      We will win Sun. D will have Bridgewater running for his life, and we do have Wrs. that can catch the ball this year.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post