Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Schedule Breakdown Offers Opportunity

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Most of the fans perusing the 2015 football schedule point to the eight home games as a big unusual positive for the Wildcats. And it is somewhat of a positive however some of the teams on UK’s home schedule are viewed as huge favorite’s home or away. The Cats have a mountainous task getting off to a good start the first three games this season. The second game, they have to go through The “Ole Ball Coach” in Columbia, South Carolina and they have to break an unspeakable streak at home against the Florida Gators. Both are doable but “Ole Yeahbut” awoke from his slumber. Having said that there is one stretch that could be a huge key to the Wildcats doing something that in his third season, Mark Stoops would welcome.

The stretch from the October 3rd Eastern Kentucky University game in Commonwealth Stadium to October 31 Tennessee at home offer some opportunity. Sandwiched in between are two game the Cats could be heavy underdogs. Those are a Thursday night contest against Auburn University at home and Mississippi State in Starkville, Mississippi. That’s providing the aforementioned at the beginning of the season doesn’t come to pass. There is an open date after the October 3rd EKU game and there is a twelve day break before the Thursday Auburn Game. Then there is a break of nine more days until the Mississippi State game on the road.

With only a little over half the season completed the Tennessee Vols come to Lexington to play a much fresher team than last season. Kentucky was one of only two SEC teams that played eight-games without a break and seven of those games were SEC games. By the time the Tennessee game came up on the UK schedule there was nothing left in the Wildcat tank in the hostile territory of Neyland Stadium.

At this point there are two road games remaining on the UK schedule, Georgia and Vanderbilt. Given how the BBN turns out for the Vandy game this in most years is equivalent to a home game. We know we are painting a rosy picture but the schedule layout could provide them enough nutrient to prevent them from wilting on the vine.

Offense

How do the Wildcats get this accomplished this season? Take advantage of the assets it has accumulated. Last season the Wildcats gave up 34 quarterback sacks for 334-yards lost. With a much more experienced offensive line that stat should be vastly improved. So keep Patrick Towles on his feet.
    Between the top three rushers returning UK has 5.7 yards back for the 2015 season. Two of those running backs Boom Williams and Mikel Horton played as true freshmen last season. Oh, what a little seasoning will accomplish.

Defense

On the defensive side of the football 77.6% of their tackles return. Granted Bud Dupree and Za’Darius Smith will be on a Pro roster this season and they accounted for 135 of the 240-tackles lost but the conversion to mostly 3-4 defense and sometimes multiple, UK can make up for that lost. They do have their leading tackler Josh Forrest back. Forrest is excellent in pass coverage and could eclipse Sam Maxwell’s six interceptions in 2008. Win the turnover ratio stat but most of all stop the run much better. And most of all reduce the 44% third down conversion rate on defense.

If these things get accomplished pack your bags BBN because the Cats will go bowling in 2015 or 2016 - same season.
    Comments 10 Comments
      ajp40505 -
      We will have to see how the season unfolds, but that Miss State game on the road doesn't look as unwinnable to me as it does most folks. Dak Prescott is a very good college QB, but he's not in the same stratosphere as Cam Newton or Johnny Manzel. I think the best QB in the league is Joshua Dobbs at UT. I think that kid is so good that I expect the Vols to be in Atlanta playing for the SEC Championship. I think we have a better job of beating Miss State on the road than UT in Commonwealth.
      LonnyDemaree -
      You are not too far wrong.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by ajp40505 View Post
      We will have to see how the season unfolds, but that Miss State game on the road doesn't look as unwinnable to me as it does most folks. Dak Prescott is a very good college QB, but he's not in the same stratosphere as Cam Newton or Johnny Manzel. I think the best QB in the league is Joshua Dobbs at UT. I think that kid is so good that I expect the Vols to be in Atlanta playing for the SEC Championship. I think we have a better job of beating Miss State on the road than UT in Commonwealth.
      Lonnie is on the right track towards evaluating what we bring back as far as talent. Returning lettermen is but one metric. When you dive further into the stats you see teams such as MSU bring back a high percentage of their playmakers, the guys with the interceptions, pass breakups, tackles and sacks. Returning lettermen does not evaluate playing time. Teams with grat depth on the rosters are not impacted too greatly by players leaving the program. In football you need to look no further than saban's Alabama teams who are decimated by players leaving early for the NFL every year but still has the depth to stay at the top and compete.

The good news is when you analyze UK this way, we show up pretty good.
      Padukacat -
      I wonder what sec teams think when they see us on their schedule?
      Terry Blue -
      It depends what year you're looking at. I heard the other day that MSU returns their stud QB but only 4 starters back from each unit. This particular analyst thought we should have a good chance in close games to beat:MSU, Fla, Mizzo, and South Carolina as well of course as Vandy in the SEC.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      I wonder what sec teams think when they see us on their schedule?
      You Don't want to know.
      Terry Blue -
      They view us overall as an automatic win and Vandy, at home, this year looks at us as a good chance for a win. Good for them. I'm sure LSU didn't think we'd beat them in 2007 either. I hope they're all over confident when they play us.
      Darrell KSR -
      Kentucky is very lowly thought of, although Mark Stoops gets a tiny bit of credit from Finebaum. They still think he's years away, though (and for all I know, they may be right).
      dan_bgblue -
      I agree with them if they are talking about competing for the SEC title or even competing for the SEC east crown. If they are talking about being competitive with the bottom 10 in the conference and winning the games they are supposed to win and a couple of games the talking heads think they have no chance in, I think they would be wrong if they give him a couple more years.
      Terry Blue -
      SEC Title Game by 2018
  • KSR Twitter Feed