Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stoops on Commonwealth Stadium renovation and summer schedule

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Because the Commonwealth Stadium renovation is “totally” out of his control, Kentucky coach Mark Stoops says he doesn’t have the “time or the energy” to check on what progress is being made before UK opens the season there in September.

However, he knows just having ongoing construction is a positive for recruiting going into his third year as UK’s head coach.

“As you're going through recruiting the past couple of years (you're) talking about the things that we're going to do. Now they can see the improvements and see a bunch of construction going on over there,” Stoops said at the Governor’s Cup press conference in Frankfort Wednesday.

He said when players come on either unofficial or official visits this season they can see what work has been done and also glimpsethe football complex behind the stadium.

“That's the thing that's very exciting and will directly affect our players each and every day. So that's the big piece I think that we're excited about, and that I've spent my time helping design and get that building as functional as we want it to be from a football point of view,” Stoops said. "The stadium is going to be fantastic. I did walk through it a month ago or so, and just greatly impressed with what we've done.”

He said Commonwealth Stadium will be “fan-friendly” with new amenities and “outstanding” views.

“I think people are gonna be very excited about that. It can do nothing but help us as far as recruiting and the excitement of our football team and our staff with playing in that renovated stadium and certainly getting the football building,” Stoops said.

Different approach: Last year Stoops wanted all his players to stay on campus all summer. He changed his thinking this year.

“I wanted them to get away for about three weeks, four weeks, and a bunch of them just wanted to stay. So we gave them that opportunity. It gives them a chance to get ahead academically and work for those four weeks rather than take three or four weeks off in May,” Stoops said Wednesday. “We asked our players to come back a week early in June, and they're all here. So we have about 100 percent on campus right now."

Stoops said he felt that was a major attitude change, especially since players did not get their monthly stipend checks until the first day of summer school classes

“They have to do a little bit of work prior to getting here, paying their rent and some of those things. I see a commitment from them and hopefully that'll equate to a great summer and, again, a great fall camp and hopefully some more wins,” Stoops said.

“I feel like our guys clearly understand what’s expected of them. Are we as disciplined as we need to be all the time? Probably not. And that’s the next phase. We have a good blend of even some younger guys that have some experience but some great talent. And some older guys that played some football, been in our system now going into their third year, and that’s certainly going to help.

“I’m pleased with them. It’s never going to be perfect, but we need to be more consistent and more disciplined in all the things we’re doing.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed