Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• New UK Assistant Tony Barbee see's Extreme Value in Tyler Ulis

"I'm excited for Tony (Barbee), who's been a part of my basketball family for twenty years," John Calipari joyfully expressed. "I've known Coach Cal since I was fifteen-years old," Barbee said. Barbee expressed the fact that he was glad to be hands on again. He said - "It's exciting for me to be back in the mix working with kids." And one of the guys he's most excited about is Tyler Ulis.

What does Ulis have in common with names such as Ryan Boatwright, Shabazz Napier, Kemba Walker, Devan Downey, Anthony Hickey, and Russ Smith? Within two inches plus or minus Ulis is the same size. They are all guards that have beaten Calipari's team's since he's been at Kentucky.

What does Barbee like most about Ulis? He said he likes his leadership, his composure, and his fearlessness. "Nothing shakes this kid," Barbee said. "It was uncanny for a freshman point guard at this level to play with his composure. We all saw that last year. College basketball for the most part is about guard play. When you've got good big's and good guards you've got a chance of having a good basketball team. And when you're starting with a guard like Tyler, you are starting at pretty good place."

For those BBN basketball aficionado's which for the most part watch the McDonald's All-Star classic, Teh Jordan-Brand Classic, and other like classics Ulis played in, their attitude was a mystery to this writer. There was so much apprehension and in some cases ambivalence over Cal signing of a player of his stature. Prototypes are far overblown - it's what's in the chest as the aforementioned examples.

So vive la Tyler Ulis!!!
    Comments 5 Comments
      anderwt -
      Can't wait to see this kid get 25-30 minutes a game...He will make life easier for Lee, AP, Briscoe, Mulder, Skal, and Matthews and when we add Murray, they will feed off each other big time
      WoodstockCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      Can't wait to see this kid get 25-30 minutes a game...He will make life easier for Lee, AP, Briscoe, Mulder, Skal, and Matthews and when we add Murray, they will feed off each other big time
      Do you worry at all about shin splints becoming recurring, nagging injury?
      Carolinawildcats -
      Murray and Ulis are going to be a fantastic tandem! I can't wait!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      Carolinawildcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockCat View Post
      Do you worry at all about shin splints becoming recurring, nagging injury?

That has certainly crossed my mind. I ran cross county in college and HS and ran in pain many times. At times it was almost unbearable. I still run often, and oddly enough, have not had them since my mid to late 20's, but it's a pain that I will never forget. I hope for him they do not reoccur.

Peace

Richard (CW)
      kingcat -
      I love Tyler. and I love Murray.

That said, Briscoe will be our best guard. Very undervalued around here imo.
  • KSR Twitter Feed