Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Barbee, Coaching Staff excited about next season

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — New Kentucky basketball assistant coach Tony Barbee says the staff is “excited” about next season despite having seven players off last year’s Final Four team opt to leave UK early for the NBA.

“I know I’m excited about it. I know Coach (John Calipari) is excited about it,” said Barbee Thursday. “When you look at the returners and what they bring to the table. You know, get Alex (Poythress) back healthy. I think the leadership that Tyler (Ulis) can provide, coming back into that point guard role.

“You look at what Marcus Lee brings to the table. And obviously Derek (Willis) and Dom (Hawkins), and them now having the experience to step in in whatever role Coach sees for them. And I think we’re all excited about the newcomers as well. So, we’re excited about the team we got coming back.”

Kentucky will add high school signees Skal Labissiere, Isaiah Briscoe and Charles Matthews to the mix along with junior college guard Mychal Mulder.

Barbee would not rule out UK adding another player to the roster because UK has scholarships available.

“We’re very comfortable with the team that we have returning and the newcomers coming in. And obviously if there’s ability to add a piece or two out there that we think can help us, we’ll do that. But with what we have now, we’re excited going forward,” Barbee, who coached and played under Calipari at Massachusetts and also coached under him at Memphis.

Barbee came to UK as an administrative assistant after being fired as Auburn’s head coach. That meant he could not do any hands-on coaching or recruiting last season. Now he can after filling the void created by the departure of Barry Rohrssen to St. John’s after the season ended.

“It’s exciting for me to be back in the mix, working with the guys,” Barbee said. “It’s why we do what we do, obviously, to help the kids grow — off the floor as well, but basketball’s the passion. It’s what I do. It’s what we do as coaches.

“And to be able to get back on the floor and work with the guys individually and help the team in that way is exciting for me after a year off.”

He said he did look at some head coaching opportunities.

“I see myself as a head coach and want to get back in that role. But now that I’m an assistant coach, I’m gonna do that to the best of my ability and help Coach in any role he needs me to fill,” Barbee said.

He says he initially came to UK because of his relationship with Calipari.

“I’ve known him since I was 15 years old, and that’s been well-documented, the impact he’s had on my life, not just as a coach but personally as well,”Barbee said. “There were some TV opportunities that I had out there, but I wanted to stay connected in the game from a coaching role.

“Even though the coaching role wasn’t available, when Coach Cal asked me to come and help him in the special assistant role, I didn’t hesitate. That’s why, just the relationship and how strong it is and how far back it goes.”

He said as soon as Rohrssen resigned that he wanted to be part of Kentucky’s full-time staff if Calipari wanted to give him the opportunity and had no hesitation about the work load of an assistant coach.

“I think, if you speak to any head coach, that never changes. When you go from assistant to a head coach, or from a head coach back to assistant, you better grind every day. So whether you’re an assistant or a head coach, it doesn’t matter. You’ve still got to get the work done,” Barbee said.

He knows recruiting at UK will be different that recruiting at Auburn, Memphis or Memphis.

“Kentucky is the ultimate. So, obviously, when you have the UK on your chest, it’s an advantage. We’ll do everything to continue the recruiting success that Coach Cal has had here,” Barbee said.

He signed only a one-year contract but that was not because he hopes to leave in a year to be a head coach.

“That was the contract that was put on the table. I signed it with the terms that they put down. Just, I want to fill my role, to support Coach and help him continue to chase championships here at Kentucky,” Barbee said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed