Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Huge pickup by UK women's soccer: Mexican National Team Starter Tanya Samarzich

Transfer from USC eligible for the 2015 season with three seasons remaining

Photo: Mexican National Fútbol Federation

LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kentucky women’s soccer program and head coach Jon Lipsitz announced the addition of Tanya Samarzich on Tuesday afternoon, a member of the Mexican Full Women’s National Team, and winner of the Golden Boot in the 2014 CONCACAF U-20 Championships.

The Upton, Calif., native will be eligible immediately, as she is transferring in from the University of Southern California. In her one year with the Trojans, she appeared in 14 games, scoring three goals on 17 shots, including two game-winning goals. She played 641 minutes on the pitch, and started two games.

Samarzich was a critical part of the Mexican National Team’s qualification for the World Cup this summer, as she participated in the World Cup qualifiers from Oct. 14-26 to help get El Tri into its third-straight Women’s World Cup.

Samarzich was named to the 2015 Women’s World Cup squad for Mexico and would be participating had it not been for a foot injury that ended her chances of competing this summer in Canada. The injury happened in a pre-World Cup scrimmage against the host country, Canada. At 20 years old, she is the third-youngest member of the Mexican National Team’s active roster.

In the CONCACAF U-20 World Championships held in the Cayman Islands, she won the Golden Boot for the tournament, as she netted hat-tricks in Mexico’s first two games, helping her side set a new team record for most goals scored in a single CONCACAF World Championship with 22, four more than its previous high. As a winner of the Golden Boot, she joins United States internationals, Sydney Leroux and Kelley O’Hara, who will both be making the trip to Canada this summer for the Women’s World Cup representing the US Women’s National Team.

Samarzich was an all-league first team selection in high school at Upland and was named the 2013 Inland Valley Player of the Year after appearing in 72 games her high school career, scoring a whopping 91 goals and charting 52 assists in those 72 games. Her club team was Legends FC, where she played under the direction of head coach Josh Hodges.

Samarzich’s Mexican National Team Appearances

August 2014

-U-20 International Friendly in Mexico City vs. Canada and USA

-FIFA U20s Women's World Cup

-Women's Mexican National Team Training Camp

September 2014

-Women's Mexican National Team training camp

-Women's Mexican National Team International Friendly against the USA

-Women's Mexican National Team training camp

October 2014

-2015 FIFA Women's World Cup qualifying

April 2015/May 2015

-Women's Mexican National team training camp in Acapulco

-Women's Mexican National Team International friendly's in California vs. Canada and USA

-Women's Mexican National Team training camp May

June 2015

-Women's Mexican National Team, FIFA Women's World Cup, Canada
    Comments 4 Comments
      TheFabFueder -
      How is she eligible immediately? Different rules for different sports?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheFabFueder View Post
      How is she eligible immediately? Different rules for different sports?
      There are different rules. IIRC, baseball, basketball, football, and hockey require one year in residency, but others do not.
      UKinLA -
      That is one fantastic resume. Great pick up!
      Darrell KSR -
      I had a meeting with the head coach of the Samford women's team Wednesday night. He's a five-time coach of the year (twice Georgia state high school, three time college conference coach), has defeated 4 of the last 6 SEC teams he has faced, and has done an outstanding job coaching for many years.

He said as important as everything else is on the soccer field, and as much time as everybody (himself included) devotes to ball control, possession, offenses and defenses, most matches boil down to who finishes an opportunity, and who does not. Having a finisher is sort of like having a star pitcher in baseball--it can be almost that important.

This player could be that important. Sure sounds like it.

Quote Originally Posted by UKinLA View Post
      That is one fantastic resume. Great pick up!
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post