Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Fraschilla - Okafor a "home run" pick; Towns a "grand slam"

By: LARRY VAUGHT

ESPN basketball analyst and international draft expert Fran Fraschilla discussed the 2015 NBA Draft Combine and draft prospects during a conference call with media members Wednesday.

ESPN2 will cover the combine in Chicago Thursday and Friday from 3-7 p.m.

Fraschilla was aked who the Minnesota Timberwolves may take if they get the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft.

“I think if Minnesota ends up with the first pick, there is going to be a long, healthy debate about both Towns and Okafor, and it’s going to take a few weeks to sort itself out. In Okafor you have a kid whose limitations right now may be on the defensive end, but you’re talking about a very skilled, young offensive player at 6-11, who I think in his early 20s is going to be un-guardable," Fraschilla said.

“Whereas Towns is not as ready-made as Okafor may be offensively, but he has tantalizing shot-blocking potential, he’s developing into a low-post scorer, and something that was not seen this year that many of us who have watched him since he was 16 know that he can do, is step away from the basket and shoot 3s.

“Towns probably has the edge to me right now, because he’s the grand slam, and Okafor is just a home run. But I think if you can find a low-post scorer at 6-11, who I think scores as effortlessly as Okafor can, that’s hard to pass up.

“I will say one more thing about Okafor watching him on tape. If you watch all of the NCAA Tournament games which Duke played after the Robert Morris game, the low post is more crowded than Grand Central Station. He’s going to have more space in the league to operate, and you’ll see the kind of effectiveness that we’ve come to expect from the kid. And he still had a great year by anybody’s measures.”
    Comments 12 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      I was thinking Okafor may have a higher upside than many think because he won't be manhandled in the NBA like he is in college. Same for Towns, too.
      brianw508 -
      I think they'll both be all stars. But okafor is going to eventually have to be able to knock down free throws. He will face similar situations as shaq, deandre Jordan, Dwight Howard, etc. I think his biggest liability is defense. I've always thought he was a young brad daughtery. I've seen towns compare to Greg Monroe and that's highly laughable. Monroe is a nice finesse, soft, willing passer. He has no killer instinct. Towns will be a killer in the pros.
      CitizenBBN -
      They're #1 and #1a, but I take Towns. He's shown more consistent work on all aspects of his game, the shot blocking and defense gives him a slight edge b/c both will be able to score well.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Okafor will get abused on defense in the NBA, especially if he's asked to wander very far from the basket. And I doubt he'll be getting that Duke whistle much either. No one could even breathe on him in college. He'll get bumped, nudged and outright junk punched when he's goes up to score in the NBA.
      Philly Cat -
      It all comes down to the D and outside shooting to me.

Towns kills Okafor on both of those things, presently and potential-wise.

I don't buy that Okafor can become a good defender. Part of defending is rebounding, and Okafor wasn't great this year. That is a skill -- and a deficiency-- that translates to the NBA. He has great footwork, so it's not impossible that he would become nimble on D, but the disconnect between his movement on offense and defense is striking enough that I'd be petrified to take him, as an NBA GM.

Also, Okafor's FT shooting spells trouble. Why would you take that risk when you have so many of the same skills -- plus range to NBA 3-- with 80% FT shooting in Towns?
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      It all comes down to the D and outside shooting to me.

Towns kills Okafor on both of those things, presently and potential-wise.

I don't buy that Okafor can become a good defender. Part of defending is rebounding, and Okafor wasn't great this year. That is a skill -- and a deficiency-- that translates to the NBA. He has great footwork, so it's not impossible that he would become nimble on D, but the disconnect between his movement on offense and defense is striking enough that I'd be petrified to take him, as an NBA GM.

Also, Okafor's FT shooting spells trouble. Why would you take that risk when you have so many of the same skills -- plus range to NBA 3-- with 80% FT shooting in Towns?
      FT shooting is where you can see Okafor will struggle to develop range, and where Towns is a natural.

The more I think about it the more I don't think there's a 1 and 1a, but a 1 and maybe more gap than people think, then 2. Towns just has more game in more places, and is combined with a tremendous attitude and a great and smart guy who will be nothing but a positive for the organization and in the locker room. Okafor doesn't have any issues I have heard about, but Towns is just such a complete package.
      kingcat -
      Looking at the situation as unbiased as possible, I'd be torn.

And I'd probably take the Euro kid.
      Bakert -
      "and something that was not seen this year that many of us who have watched him since he was 16 know that he can do, is step away from the basket and shoot 3s."

No, it was not seen this year. And it's a shame.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      Looking at the situation as unbiased as possible, I'd be torn.

And I'd probably take the Euro kid.
      What Euro has ever come in and played like a top pick?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post

What Euro has ever come in and played like a top pick?
      The Italian, Antonio Davis, in the 2012 draft.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Il Browce?
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      The ACTUAL Antonio Davis, most famously of the Pacers circa '93-'99, and from the tiny Italian Village known locally as "Oaklanda California", would like to remind you who he is... and he's got me in a choke hold. HELP!!!!
  • KSR Twitter Feed