Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Upside, question marks for Cauley-Stein, Booker and Lyles

By: LARRY VAUGHT

ESPN basketball analyst and international draft expert Fran Fraschilla discussed the 2015 NBA Draft Combine and draft prospects during a conference call with media members Wednesday.

ESPN2 will cover the combine in Chicago Thursday and Friday from 3-7 p.m.

He broke down what the biggest question marks were for Kentucky’s Willie Cauley-Stein, Devin Booker and Trey Lyles’ as well as the upside each has.

“I think Willie Cauley-Stein’s upside is Tyson Chandler. No one is throwing Willie the ball in the low post and asking him to score when he gets to the league. The league is about length and rim protection, and his upside is Tyson Chandler. The other thing about Willie is, he’s as good in this draft as anybody, is just his ability to defend everywhere on the floor. The NBA, as I mentioned, is a rim protection league, and it’s also a pick-and-roll league, and Willie can not only be effective in pick-and-roll defense, he can switch on to good NBA guards and stay in front of them, and we saw that this year,” Fraschilla said.

“Devin Booker is an interesting case because, as I mentioned earlier, he’s the youngest guy in this draft. He’s another guy that’s in the family business because his father was a tremendous European player for upwards of a decade. He’s mature, he gets it, he’s going to be low maintenance off the court, an elite shooter, he’s a deceptive athlete, and he’s young. So, all those things play into his being drafted probably in the first 15 picks.

“And then Trey Lyles, a very interesting case because he spent the majority of the year playing out of position, by necessity. Trey is, again, a young player who is a teenager at 6-10, 235 (pounds). I think he can develop into a good, solid low-post player, pick-and-pop a little bit on the perimeter, and I like his long term potential. Not a great athlete at this point, maybe he never will be, but I can see him being a solid NBA player for a decade. Whether he becomes a star or not remains to be seen, but he’ll have great value to a team wanting to add a good, young, quality big guy.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      Padukacat -
      Those guys all have very good upside and any of them could end up as a high level career starter or a role player depending on how hard they work. I think lyles may have the highest odds, then willie due to work ethic or lack of it possibly, then booker due to the difficulty of separating as a guard in the league.
  • KSR Twitter Feed