Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Marty Moore Still Celebrated as Mr. Irrelevant

Every year at this time a former college football player receives a free vacation to sunny California as an award winner under the heading of MR. Irrelevant. As the 2015 draft was winding down to the end of college football draft's seventh round which is the pick in the last round, I was hoping that UK offensive lineman Darrian Miller would be the one. Instead it was Louisville's tight end Gerald Christian. Other than selfish reasons being a hometown boy, I think Miller has the kind of demeanor that would enjoy all the activities surrounding it, some a test of his recognizing the good faith intentions. The other reason is a reward for the hard work he's put in to be a three starter that was thrown into the fire as a true freshman in the SEC. The Wildcats now have the depth that doesn't require them to played before they are ready.

Marty Moore was MR. Irrelevant in 1994 as having been drafted by the New England Patriots and the NFL's last pick in the seven round draft. That dubious honor comes with fanfare unlike anything that finishes last. Moore went on to start for the Patriots his first year and played in the league for nine years. "Every time my name is mention to Bill Parcels his face lights up with a big smile," the coach that was responsible for his draft.

In essence as things turned our MR. Irrelevant quickly became MR. Relevant. "Everybody knew who I was when I arrived at the Patriots camp," Moore said, "and immediately got in behind me rooting for the underdog. "I didn't expect all that when I arrived there.

MR. Irrelevant receives a parade in his honor. Moore said he received his parade after disembarking from his from his sailing regatta on a big yacht. He was award a banquet where he is roasted. "Willie McGinest who was the first pick of that draft was one of the rosters along with some former NFL coaches," said Moore who shed it like water off a ducks back. "You had to look at it that way as all in fun." At a awards ceremony he was presented the Lowsman Trophy. Moore said it was a trophy just the opposite of the Heisman Trophy. It's designed with player picking up the ball. Moore didn't make it clear whether that way symbolizing his misfortune or that's the way all the Lowsman Trophy's were designed.

More went on to describes some other events that were analogist to a dunking-booth experience. Moore said he's invited back every year and is considered the most celebrated MR. Irrelevant that was created in 1976 by former NFL player Paul Salata that is now in bad health. His sister has now taken over most of the duties of keeping it going.

Moore said a script is in the process of being written about the possibly of making a movie of his plight from MR. Irrelevant to where his NFL career advanced to. Again that's another case of what hard work can do for an athlete.
    Comments 2 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Interesting read, Lonny.
      kingcat -
      A great Wildcat, and has done us all proud as fans.

Fun stuff Lonny
  • KSR Twitter Feed