Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mulder and Kentucky a good fit

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Vincennes University coach Todd Franklin isn’t worried about the attention and spotlight at Kentucky overwhelming new signee Mychal Mulder, who played two years for him.

“I think he will be okay with the spotlight. He is not a guy that does a lot to be afraid of having it in the public,” said Franklin. “We’ve all done things we don’t need on the front page of the paper. We tell our kids to watch Twitter and their social media stuff. But he will be fine at Kentucky. He is mature. He is not hiding anything. It (the attention) is a crush for anybody and can be a pain, but he will handle it just fine.”

Mulder is a shooting wing player who hit almost 45 percent from 3-point range last season and gives UK coach John Calipari a shooter he needed for next season after losing Aaron Harrison and Devin Booker to the NBA draft.

“The piece just fits sometimes,” Mulder said. “We don’t talk a lot about things. That’s why there are no (team) hats (for a player to pick between when he announces his college choice). We don’t want to make anybody feel bad for recruiting one of our players. He was recruited by a lot of people. A lot of big-time programs wanted him to come in and be a starter. He had other opportunities.

“Kentucky is just one of those things too good to pass up. He had other good situations and had done a good job with them before Kentucky came along late. But when a Duke, Kentucky or North Carolina come along, you can’t help but get excited.”

Franklin said even though UK got involved with Mulder late, it does look like a good fit for both the player and school.

“He can bring shooting that they need, especially with guys like Tyler Ulis and Isaiah Briscoe creating off the dribble and Skal (Labissiere) inside. You’ve got to keep the defense honest, and he can,” Mulder said. “But you have got to have a certain level of athleticism as well as shooting ability. I think he fit exactly what they wanted. I feel like it was just a really good fit and so did he.

“Kentucky is going to be, and probably always has, been where any kid is going to be interested in playing. He looked at what they had back, what was coming there and how he fit. He thought going there gave him the best chance of doing things he has dreamed of doing.”

Franklin said Mulder also has one other quality that Calipari likes.

“He is just about winning. He is not about how many shots he takes. He is not bringing what some bring to high major programs,” Franklin said. “Kentucky gave him the best shot to play and win on the biggest stage in college basketball. He was mature in his thinking about it. I think he will jump in and be just fine.

“He’s really a special kid. He was late for his own press conference to announce he was going to Kentucky because he did not get out of class. That’s just the way he does things and why I think he’ll be fine with everything at Kentucky. He does things on and off the court the right way.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      Hoss -
      Can't wait to see him in Blue!
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post