Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Opportunity knocks for Mychal Mulder in Lexington

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky got a needed wing scorer when Vincennes (Ind.) University shooting guard Mychal  Mulder signed with the Wildcats today during a ceremony at his junior college.

He’s among the top 20 junior college prospects in the nation and his coach, Todd Franklin, said most recruiters ranked him as the nation’s best wing player because of his scoring ability and defense.

The 6-4 Mulder ( averaged a team-high 15.7 points and 6.9 rebounds per game last season in leading the Trailblazers to a 33-2 record. He shot 44.7 percent (88 of 197) from 3-point range and 80 percent (80 of 100) at the foul line.

“I got to experience the recruiting process with some really great schools and programs, but Kentucky just seems to be the best situation for me to continue my basketball career at the next level, whether it would be in the NBA or even overseas,” Mulder said. “When you play for coach (John) Calipari, you’re always going to have the opportunity to do great things in life in some way — it’s just up to you to grab that opportunity. Plus, when you play for Kentucky, even when it comes time to hang up your jersey, people still love you. Kentucky has great fans.”

Mulder had been recruited by numerous schools during the season before Kentucky got involved only recently. He made his visit to UK over the weekend.

“Coach Calipari told me that he knew about me earlier but he didn’t know for a while if he would have a spot for me to as much (playing) time as I would like to have,” Mulder said. “He said he didn’t want to bring me in as a junior if I wasn’t going to get a chance. Once he found out how many players were seriously looking at the (NBA) draft, he knew I’d have a chance to compete for a spot.”

He had scholarship offers from Missouri, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Creighton and Wichita State, where former Vincennes teammate Darius Carter plays.

“He brings a lot to the table,” Vincennes coach Todd Franklin said. “This is not a guy who is not legit. He was recruited as a starter and a guy with the potential to come in and be all-league.”

Originally from Windsor, Ontario, Mulder was a member of the 2013 recruiting class and was considered a top 10 prep prospect in Canada.

“That’s all I’ve ever wanted – a chance,” Mulder said. “I didn’t expect promises of anything, just an opportunity that’s mine if I work hard and grab it.”

Mulder was a National Junior College Athletic Association first-team All-American following the 2014-15 season when the Trailblazers were 33-2. Mulder scored 865 points in two seasons with the Trailblazers. His two-season scoring average was 12.1 points per game and his rebounding average was 5.7 boards per contest.

“He was pretty far along with his recruitment when Kentucky got involved,” Franklin said. “But he wanted to extend his recruiting through the weekend to look at Kentucky. Once he decided where he was going, we just said let’s do it and get thhis over. The (Kentucky) media crush is crazy. If he waited any longer, this was going to get nuts.

“We also try to be straight with everybody on our team getting the same time and by doing this today and not Monday it gave him time to get hold of all the guys who had been recruiting him and handle things professionally like we try to do.”

Mulder’s father, Randy, made the 7 1/2-hour drive to be with his son Tuesday for his big day.

“His dad comes down a lot. He’s a great guy. He jumped in the car and just came down,” Franklin said. “Mychal appreciated that a lot.”
    Comments 3 Comments
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Great article…..methinks we have just added a gem…..atypical of our JUCO past
      Padukacat -
      Kid seems to have his head on straight, welcome to the big leagues!
      GhettoBird -
      Loved that his Dad was able to come to the announcement. In the pics they sure looked happy. You can believe this kid will likely work his tail off and do everything cal asks of him.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post