Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Joker on secondary

By: LARRY VAUGHT

I asked Joker today about the NO. 2 players in the secondary, since three are true freshmen and one was not on the team for personal reasons last year. Here's what he said.

Well, Daron Blaylock is the number two guy at safety. He's a guy that's really smart, really physical. He was a guy we originally penciled in when we signed him to be a Sam back, the hybrid guy.

He came in here. He's more athletic than we thought. Smart kid. Comes from a really good background at Walton High School in Marietta (Ga.). So we moved him to safety. We actually had to do it one day when we had a bunch of safeties out.

You come out of the lineup, somebody goes in. This guy goes in, was able to get lined up, was able to come down here and make plays for us. Therefore, he will be the backup.

Fred Tiller is another guy. I won't talk about these guys until they play, but he's a guy that is a really smooth athlete, he's long. He looks lean, but he's thicker than he looks. He doesn't look like a fifth‑year senior. Sixth‑year senior, Trevard Lindley, he's even thicker than him. He's a guy that got into our two‑deep.

Dakotah Tyler, he was really battling for the starting position with Mikie Benton. I think a lot that hurt him, he wasn't here in the spring and missed a lot of reps. But he's a guy that's capable of being a starter before the season is over. Excited about getting him back.

J.D. Harmon, he was originally a receiver. Our strength and conditioning coaches saw him this summer, saw his athletic ability. When we get down in numbers at the corner position, the one guy that we thought could go over there and line up would be J.D.

He's done an unbelievable job. He's a real physical guy. He's a real long guy. Stronger than most freshmen that come in here in the secondary. Therefore, he'll be one of the backup corners also. Be probably our first guy to go in in our nickel situation. I'm not saying he'll play nickel, but he'll be the fifth to go in the game.
    Comments 5 Comments
      dramsey79 -
      So we are skinny, but smart!
      CatQuick -
      I think we can expect that Bridgewater will put a lot of balls in the air come Sunday. Will need a good pass rush to help the younger guys.
      LarryVaught1 -
      With you CatQuick
      Kacat -
      None of these guys are "skinny". Not sure how they will play but it's inaccurate to say they are not physically able to do the job.
      Droops63 -
      I'm not worried about them being able to do the job physically. I'm worried about the lack of experience. Hopefully they won't get burned too badly.
  • KSR Twitter Feed