Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari: It's Lee and Poythress time now

By: LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — Kentucky coach John Calipari isn’t worried about next season despite losing seven players to the NBA and having only three signees for next season so far.

“Some guys (recruits) have to talk to us, but I think we’re going to be fine. At the end of the day, it’s going to be crazy again,” said Calipari Thursday after receiving the Rupp Cup from the Commonwealth Athletic Club of Kentucky as the recipient of the Adolph Rupp Coach of the Year after guiding UK to an unbeaten regular season and 38-1 overall finish.

Kentucky likely will get a needed boost next season with the return of Alex Poythres, who missed most of his junior season after injuring his knee in early December.

“We’ve talked. I think he wants to come back. He’ll be fine,” Calipari said. “I’m so anxious to get him and (junior) Marcus Lee on the court because it’s their time now. This is their time.”

Poythress averaged 5.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 20.3 minutes per game in the 11 games he played before tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in practice.

Lee played sparingly last season but with Karl-Anthony Towns, Willie Cauley-Stein and Dakari Johnson all leaving UK for the NBA, Lee and incoming freshman Skal Labissiere will be UK’s inside presence unless Calipari adds another recruit.

“He played behind Karl and Willie. In a normal college situation, that is normal. That’s the way it’s supposed to be, but you’re at Kentucky. It’s like warp speed,” Calipari said about Lee. “I am so anxious for him and want this for him.

“It’s his time and he knows it. I think you’ll see people saying, ‘Cal should’ve played him the last two years. What the heck was he thinking?’ But those guys in front of him were pretty good.”

In-state players Dominique Hawkins and Derek Willis could also have a chance at more significant playing time. Calipari said he likes the way both juniors to be have approached the offseason so far.

“I’ve seen Derek in the gym on his own putting up shots. It’s still an exciting time,” Calipari said. “We have three guys (recruits) in the warm-up line right now and someone said they picked us to be No. 1 in the country (in a preseason poll already). We don’t even have a team and we’re No. 1 in the country. It comes back to what coach (Adolph) Rupp started here. It’s expected here.”
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Calipari: It's Lee and Poythress time now started by Darrell KSR View original post
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post