Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Undefined role at Kentucky suits Isaiah Briscoe just fine

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky signee Isaiah Briscoe isn’t worried about what his role might be at UK next season.

“I don’t have a role as of now. Nobody does,” said Briscoe. “I am just going to contribute as a freshman however I can.”

The New Jersey guard is a tireless worker. At last week’s Nike Hoop Summit, he was late for an interview because he stayed after practice to take extra shots.

“That is something I do all the time. They (game officials) just did not know that,” Briscoe said. “There is always room for improvement and going to Kentucky, I want to be even a much better shooter than I am now.”

McDonald’s All-American Malik Newman, who also played in the Nike Hoop Summit and is being recruited by Kentucky, calls Briscoe a “distributor” on the court.

“I think that is far, but it also has a lot to do with playing with other great players,” Briscoe said. “Once I have good wings and good bigs, my job is a lot easier. I just have to get them involved.

“But I can also score. Growing up, I was a scorer. I have had to mature my game a little bit, but I will do what Coach (John Calipari) needs me to do. I have no problem with that.”

Briscoe said playing with so many terrific players in the McDonald’s All-American Game and  Nike Hoop Summit were both great preparation for coming to UK.

“Kentucky always has a bunch of All-Americans on one team, so playing with so many great players gets me familiar with what it will be like to have all that talent at Kentucky,” he said. “Plus, it is fun.”

He said he had to “take care of my own business” during the season and did not get to watch Kentucky play that often.

“When I could, I did make sure I watched their games,” Briscoe said.

He says he is “pretty good friends” with UK freshman guard Tyler Ulis, who will be back next season.

“He is a great guy and I can’t wait to play with him,” Briscoe said. “On my visit, him and (Devin) Booker were like family to me. That’s oe of the key reasons why Kentucky was my choice.”

He also knows Karl-Anthony Towns, who is leaving UK after one season for the NBA, well. Towns’ father also coached him when he was younger.

“He (Karl Towns Sr.) came to a lot of my games in high school and he always said he couldn’t wait for me to get to Kentucky,” Briscoe said.

Briscoe, who said he has not talked to Calipari recently, said the all-star games, including the upcoming Jordan Brand Classic, can help him do one more thing that will benefit him at UK.

“I just want to become a better leader and better overall point guard,” Briscoe said. “These games help me do that because of who I am playing with.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post