Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stoops wraps up spring practice today

By LARRY VAUGHT

LEXINGTON — Kentucky will have its last day of spring practice Wednesday and coach Mark Stoops hopes once he gets a full roster of players who missed spring practice with injuries along with incoming freshmen on campus that the Wildcats will be a much improved team next season.

Stoops discussed a variety of topics after Monday’s practice. Here’s part of what he had to say:

Question: What about running back Boom Williams not breaking a lot of big runs in Saturday’s scrimmage but making a lot of 8-, 9-yard runs?
    Stoops: “He did, and he bounced it on us (the defense). He bounced it and broke contain and made some good plays where there wasn’t anything in there. So I agree, I thought he had some really good runs. Good quality runs. You could see he’s just very dynamic with the ball in his hands and makes some things happen. So I was very pleased with the way he played as well.”

Question:  How much progress has he made beyond being just the home-run guy?
    Stoops: “He’s working. He’s working at it. He really is. The second half of spring he’s been much more consistent, and needs to continue to do that. He has a chance to be a real special player, and he’s doing the things necessary to continue to grow.”

Question: Where has quarterback Patrick Towles improved the most ?
    Stoops: “Accuracy. I think he’s more accurate with the football. And I think some of what coach (Shannon) Dawson has done has helped with that, in that (he’s) eliminating some pressure of not always constantly making difficult reads. With the play-action, he has a chance to kind of sit back there and let it rip and show some of that arm talent that he has. It’s nice to see us execute some things much better. I think, like I’ve said over and over, I really feel like we’re growing, and Patrick has become more accurate.”

Question: What about Towles being the loudest guy on the sideline for Saturday’s scrimmage when he was not playing?
    Stoops: “I’m pleased with that. Patrick’s a great young man and he’s becoming more and more confident, and that’s good to see. He’s becoming more of a leader on our team, yes.”

Question: How important have added reps have been for receiver Jeff Badet after missing last season with an injury?
    Stoops: “It was really good for Jeff. Overall you can see him getting the dust off and just getting out there and playing. Same with Alex (Montgomery). Alex has been out there the past couple days in a limited role. So it’s good to see Alex getting back out there and getting some reps in before the summer, just to get that confidence going.”

Question: What about Badet and Garrett Johnson being reliable receivers?
    Stoops: “It’s a big thing. Garrett did it again today, did it Saturday — getting the ball quickly and creating some things — and he’s been very explosive. And Jeff has that kind of mobility as well. So the more and more confident he gets, that gets us another guy out there.”

Question: What are the advantages and disadvantages of naming a starting quarterback after spring practice?
    Stoops: “It’s probably bigger for everybody here (in the media) or some people that really want to read about it and talk about it on air. But it really doesn’t affect our team because where we’re at here in the spring, we only have two guys out there. We don’t have enough arms to go around. These guys are getting so many reps — and you need to be confident in both guys. And I think there’s some merit to that surely with getting that leadership going through the summer and letting the guys know where they stand and being fair with them if we know. I think we’re getting closer to that point. We’ll sit down with both quarterbacks after the spring.”

Question: What did he see from the safety play in Saturday’s scrimmage?
    Stoops: “I see us getting better. I see us making a few mistakes. It was great, honestly, to see Darius (West) get beat on that type of action that he got beat on. I say that because that’s how you learn. That’s how coaches learn, that’s how we grow: by getting exposed at certain times. He likes to use bad eyes at times and eye violate. That’s what happened on that deep pass. He gave up a touchdown. That’s how you learn. So it’s good to see one side take advantage if you’re not doing things right, but overall he’s getting better every time he’s out there. Got to learn from those mistakes but he’s a guy that is different from Mike (Edwards). Mike’s a guy that has great range. He can cover very well. Darius is that guy that for the most part he’s been a very sure tackler and been very heavy handed, puts a little thump on you and hits you.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed