Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Wiljter impressive at workouts with Canada Basketball in Toronto

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky sophomore Kyle Wiltjer could have enhanced his chances of playing in the 2016 Olympics for Canada with his play last week during a gathering of about 30 of Canada’s top players in Toronto after former NBA coach Jay Triano was named coach of the Canadian national team.

“There were pro players and college players,” said Greg Wiltjer, Kyle’s father. “Basically, they brought in anybody that could be a potential Olympic athlete in 2016, or tried to do that. It had to be good for him. For me as a former player and Canadian, this is the best team the national team has ever had. When I played and we made it to the bronze medal game (in the Olympics), we had one of the better teams we’ve had. This is the best potential we have had. It is very exciting for our country and a great opportunity for someone like Kyle.”

Greg Wiltjer knew his son was on “the radar” of the national team because he played with Triano as well as current NBA standout Steve Nash, who is the national team’s general manager. Even the team doctor was the same team doctor Greg Wiltjer’s team had at the 1984 Olympics.

“I knew he was on the radar, but I was not sure he would be able to go with the commitments he has at school,” Greg Wiltjer said.
    “(Kentucky coach John) Calipari got involved and said it would be a great thing for Kyle if they could make it happen it would really be valuable experience for him.”

Two players at the Toronto workouts were Cleveland Cavaliers forward Tristan Thompson and San Antonio Spurs guard Cory Joseph.

Howard Kelsey, executive vice-president of Canada basketball, has known Kyle Wiltjer from the time he was born because he was on the 1984 Canadian Olympic team with Greg Wiltjer that lost the bronze medal game by three points.

“We have been best friends and I have always known Kyle,” Kelsey, who watched the Canadian players work out last week, said. “His progression from his seventh grade year to 11th grade was unreal. I had a picture of him when he was just a young kid and then he walks in as an 11th-grader at 6-9 and shooting the ball deep. He’s special.

“He was the best shooting big man from the outside. He has very unique skills to offer, as Kentucky fans know. There are very few 6-11 players who can shoot as deep and well as he can.”

One concern about the UK freshman last year was that he didn’t have the strength to bang inside with older, stronger Southeastern Conference players.

“He has definitely gained weight,” Wiltjer’s father said. “He’s hovering around 240 pounds now. You can physically see the wider shoulders and he can still put on more weight, but he is stronger. I have been in the gym a little pushing on him a little bit and I can definitely tell he is stronger. And his shot is as accurate as ever. He’s ready for a big year.”
    Kelsey said Wiltjer had no problems holding his own physically at the workouts despite playing against older players.

“Physically, he was fine, and he was playing against numerous NBA players,” Kelsey said. “He held up fine and looks to me like he just continues to get stronger. Naturally any kid 18 or 19 has some growing and maturing to do, but it’s clear he is getting stronger. He’s showing more tenacity on defense, too. He has a will to play solid defense.”
    Kelsey said the competition Wiltjer faced in the workouts can only make him better, too.

“It definitely helps him. Playing against better physical specimens makes anybody get better,” Kelsey said. “There were some bona fide NBA players that are men he was going against, and doing fine. We are projecting our talent for 2016 and he did fine from my perspective.”

Other young players at the workouts included 609 Trey Lyles, a top 2013 recruit, and Anthony Bennett, who picked UNLV over Kentucky and Florida this year. Highly-touted Andrew Wiggins, a junior at Huntington (W.Va.) Prep and a big-time UK target, was invited but could not participate.

“We have a lot of good young players with international experience, including Kyle,” Kelsey said. “Moving up to the senior national team for the next Olympics in 2016 is a natural progression for him. Also having played in a NCAA Final Four and won a national championship, something few people have the opportunity to do, is a major feather in his cap in terms of experience playing at the elite level.

“But at any level, very few big guys of his size can shoot the way he can. (Former NBA all-star) Toni Kukoc comes to mind, but he did not have as good of a pure shooting stroke as Kyle. Kyle shoots as well as a guard, but he’s 6-10, 6-11. He was required to shoot 3-pointers in different scenarios at Kentucky. He shot 3’s in large arenas where he had to sit on the bench and come in shooting. That’s very difficult, but was very beneficial training for him. He is not warm when he comes in, yet he is still hitting those 3’s off the bench. Not everybody can do that.”

The next step for the Canadian team will be to for Triano and his staff to select a group to play in the world qualifying tournament next year in Venezuela with the goal of qualifying for the 2016 Olympics.

“It’s a four-year cycle building up a team and winning games,” Kelsey said. “We have an exceptionally talented group of young players and that includes Kyle.”

For Kyle Wiltjer, who recently attended a camp in California, it’s back to attend class at Kentucky and getting ready for the start of UK’s season Nov. 1 when the Wildcats play their first exhibition game.

“It has been a pretty hectic summer, but he is doing what he loves,” Wiltjer’s father aid. “He loves being a Kentucky basketball player. He’s in his element. The only tough time is being away from his family (in Portland, Ore.), but he has made some good friends in Kentucky and he loves Kentucky basketball.”
    Comments 20 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Terrific Report Larry V. Thanks very much

The Canadian coach seems to be really impressed with his outside shooting. This was a great experience for him and should help him going forward in the coming season. I love the way he plays, and how hard he tries to do what the coaches expect him to do. I'm hoping for a breakout year for him.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Sounds as though he may be ready to play the 4, I was concerned about his lateral quickness, rebounding and toughness, but if he can hold his own with NBA guys he should be able to compete for us and still hit the 3's to go with it. Sure helps if the opposing 4 is forced to come out to the perimeter to guard his man. Even better though is if Kyle can guard the opposing 4's.
      CitizenBBN -
      He shot 3’s in large arenas where he had to sit on the bench and come in shooting. That’s very difficult, but was very beneficial training for him. He is not warm when he comes in, yet he is still hitting those 3’s off the bench. Not everybody can do that.”

That's the part that impressed me in the tourney last year. He was asked to come in and shoot dead cold. He drilled that 3 against Baylor on his first offensive possession. Very tough even for good shooters. He's a born shooter, no doubt.
      Catfan73 -
      Great article! I'm really looking forward to seeing Wiltjer play this year. I didn't see it in the article Larry, but was Kyle born in Canada or is he just eligible for their national team because his dad's Canadian?
      CitizenBBN -
      iirc he was born in Oregon but has dual citizenship b/c of his dad, like you described.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      iirc he was born in Oregon but has dual citizenship b/c of his dad, like you described.
      Even though I hope he plays well enough to go in the lottery next June, but I also hope Kyle stays an extra yr at KY because he would sure be a heck of an addition on that 13 team if he has improved as much as it seems. Then plays that well this year and works out with the Canadian team some next summer before the 13-14 season. Wow what an addition that would be to that group of players, Jr leadership and a PF who could be the best pure shot in NCAA BB at that pt in time. Would sure help towards a NC'ship.
      cattails -
      I expect Kyle to be at UK 4 years and after that I expect him to be a high pick. Reason being he will improve each year, get stronger, add weight, add quickness and still have that sweet stroke. IMO he will be a very good NBA player and improve even more as he is in the league. Let's remember I don't think he even shaves yet. While a slow process, each year will be better.
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Agree and like you I think it will be a little longer than I indicated in my post, but I'm attempting to be as positive as possible for next season because we really need him to have improved defensively and rebounding wise this summer. Being stronger and quicker, better jumper next season would sure be a pleasant surprise, but like you it very well may take the full four years. Hopefully not!!!!!
      CitizenBBN -
      When he came here I thought 3 years, but these days teams will draft some kids way before they can really contribute. I still think 3 just b/c he has to develop his body and the defense and rebounding that goes with it. I won't be shocked though if it's just 2 b/c Cal's had these guys on an unreal track of development including conditioning.

I'm sticking with 3 right now, but reserve the right to change that once we can see on the court how he's doing holding his own around the rim.
      Darrell KSR -
      If Daniel Orton can be drafted after one year, Kyle Wiltjer can be drafted after two years, with more potential.

Kyle seems to have a good head on his shoulders, but my guess is this will be his last year. Would love to be wrong, see him contribute to # 9 this year and # 10 the following year, though .
      BudCat_upthecreek -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      If Daniel Orton can be drafted after one year, Kyle Wiltjer can be drafted after two years, with more potential.

Kyle seems to have a good head on his shoulders, but my guess is this will be his last year. Would love to be wrong, see him contribute to # 9 this year and # 10 the following year, though .
      Couldn't have said it better Darrell, agree 100%. But as Citizen said Cal has these kids on an unreal track of development. I also understand technically Rock works for the FB Team, but in reality Rock consults on all these kids for Joker and Cal, possibly Henderson as well.

With what Rock makes it's obvious he does more than just FB and taking one look at these kids also tells the tell, look at what Darius and Jones did in one summer. They totally changed their body's.

I'm excited to see what Kyle looks like after the news he held his own with NBA players. There has got to be a huge difference in him since the 1st week of April. He's added 25-30 lbs of muscle and must have increased his jumping ability, speed & attitude towards playing under the basket because last year there was no way he could have competed under the basket with a true NBA PF. I'm truly pumped about the prospects of Kyle playing the 4 this upcoming season......again due to the accelerated development schedule Cal has these kids on.

I've never seen kids work this hard toward certain goals like he has them do. What's more amazing is the fact they seem to attain these goals in the work they do on their own time. Kyle had 4 months to change his body in this manner and seems to have accomplished the feat or at least he's part of the way there, had August and has 2 more months before Nov 1st to complete his transformation before the season begins.

Consider me convinced John Calipari can almost work miracles if Kyle can actually guard the PF's he'll meet in the SEC.
      Padukacat -
      I think Kyle staying his JR yr will be the key component in whether we walk through the field or not, i hope he stays and feel like he may do that unless he just blows up this year.
      Krank -
      At one time, there was some chatter that Wiltjer might come off the bench while Cauley-Stein starts alongside Noel. Despite excellent progress reports about Willie, including much praise from Coach Calipari, I still believe Kyle will start at PF.

I am guessing our starters, at least early on, will be Harrow, Goodwin, Poythress, Wiltjer, and Noel. Frankly, I think Harrow has the most tenuous position in that lineup, but I still think he starts. To me, Wiltjer's experience in the system and the unique set of skills he can bring on offense (hey, how 'bout that hook shot THIS year?) will make it important for him to start and get big minutes.

What do y'all think?
      Padukacat -
      oooh i love nothing more than guessing upcoming starters, and i think im usually money....

PG - Harrow
      SG - Goodwin
      SF - Poythress
      PF - Wiltjer
      C - Noel

1st off the bench - Willie Cauley-Stein
      Next off the bench - Mayes
      Sparing minutes early in year - Beckham and Hood
      LarryVaught1 -
      Canadian officials were so, so impressed with him
      badrose -
      What are we looking at, six weeks from Friday until Big Blue Madness? Starting to get stoked.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      oooh i love nothing more than guessing upcoming starters, and i think im usually money....

PG - Harrow
      SG - Goodwin
      SF - Poythress
      PF - Wiltjer
      C - Noel

1st off the bench - Willie Cauley-Stein
      Next off the bench - Mayes
      Sparing minutes early in year - Beckham and Hood

We agree on the starting five and, while I don't disagree with your order off the bench, I think it is interesting to wonder if Mays will come in earliest. Willie may get more minutes due to what I am guessing will be some foul trouble that Noel could have, especially early in the season.

Just for the sake of argument, I say Mays comes in earliest though because he will likely perform two main roles, backup point AND two guard. Although I like what I hear about Harrow's improved stroke, I am still a bit skeptical of our deep threats at the 1,2, and 3. Kyle is going to drain shots, but he can't be out there all day.

On defense and driving against bigger guards, Mays' stronger body helps where Harrow's slightness of size hurts. I will be interested to see if Archie can be consistent shooting from deep, but I am not too worried about that. I really love Goodwin. I think he's sorta the kid who will get me pumped most during games this year.

Still, if they need shots, Mays gets the nod. If Noel is having trouble, Willie may come in quick. Alex and Kyle will get the most minutes IMO. I also have a strange feeling that Hood will get more of a chance than some think. Beckham, on the other hand, will be buried with the walk-ons. JMO.
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
      What are we looking at, six weeks from Friday until Big Blue Madness? Starting to get stoked.
      6 weeks, 4 days and 57 minutes........but who's counting?

Darryl
      Lfbj00 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post

I also have a strange feeling that Hood will get more of a chance than some think.
      Man I hope so Krank. I've been waiting/hoping for this for a while now!!!
      DanISSELisdaman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
      We agree on the starting five and, while I don't disagree with your order off the bench, I think it is interesting to wonder if Mays will come in earliest. Willie may get more minutes due to what I am guessing will be some foul trouble that Noel could have, especially early in the season.

Just for the sake of argument, I say Mays comes in earliest though because he will likely perform two main roles, backup point AND two guard. Although I like what I hear about Harrow's improved stroke, I am still a bit skeptical of our deep threats at the 1,2, and 3. Kyle is going to drain shots, but he can't be out there all day.

On defense and driving against bigger guards, Mays' stronger body helps where Harrow's slightness of size hurts. I will be interested to see if Archie can be consistent shooting from deep, but I am not too worried about that. I really love Goodwin. I think he's sorta the kid who will get me pumped most during games this year.

Still, if they need shots, Mays gets the nod. If Noel is having trouble, Willie may come in quick. Alex and Kyle will get the most minutes IMO. I also have a strange feeling that Hood will get more of a chance than some think. Beckham, on the other hand, will be buried with the walk-ons. JMO.
      Krank I hope we see more of his hook shot this year. He certainly looks bigger and stronger, so maybe he wont get knocked around so much. Also I hope he has been able to develop a little quickness. He got abused by guys with a quick first step last year and picked up a lot of fouls trying to compensate for it. I think it was more a matter of him not being in shape than anything else though.
  • KSR Twitter Feed