Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• "Good guy" Rohrrsen had an unforgettable year in Lexington

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Leaving Kentucky and long-time friend John Calipari was not an easy thing for assistant coach Barry Rohrssen to do even if it was for more money to go back home and join new St. John’s coach Chris Mullins.

Rohrssen came to UK after Orlando Antigua left a year ago to become head coach at South Florida. He was part of UK’s 38-1 season and during the Final Four he admitted it “was an unbelievable year and quite an experience” for him.

Actually, Rohrssen — better known as Slice — seemed good for Calipari, much like Antigua always was. Perhaps that’s because he knew Calipari before the UK coach was the well known personality he is now.

They met at Five-Star Camp in Pittsburgh at Robert Morris College, which is “next door” to where Calipari lived.

“We were roommates together the first time we met which was in Pittsburgh next door to where he was from in Moon Township. I go check into my room and the guy that walked in after me was John Calipari,” said Rohrssen at the Final Four.

Rohrssen said the biggest change in Calipari over time has been his “professional growth” but many things have not changed.

“Where he hasn’t changed is that he has never forgot where he came from. He still looks out for and stays in touch with people who have coached him in his career. His high school coach,, his college coach. Myself is a perfect example. This is a 35-year relationship and we have been best of friends,” he said.

“There are so many parts to John Calipari that are the same since the first day we met. I knew literally the first week we roomed together he was very clear that he wanted to coach. It was very evident he was going to be good. Five-Star was basically an area you went to cut your teeth if you wanted to coach. Mr. (Howard) Garfinkel had a good eye for playing talent which also extended to coaching talent.

“John made it clear right away that very first week he knew what he wanted to do. Most kids go through college not sure what they want to do. They want to get out and change courses, career. From the first time I shook hands with John Calipari, he had coach written all over him. It never looked at is if he would not be a success. It was just a matter of how quick that success would come.”

Rohrssen joked that Calipari was “clean and generous” as a roommate and would often take him to his house for food that was slightly better than the camp food.

“The camp literally was right next to his house. We would slide over there just to have a good meal. His mom, a beautiful woman and good cook, and his dad, Vince, just a great guy and hard worker at the local airport there, they let me in their home. That is the way Cal is. He’s just that generous and he doesn’t forget where he came from and his friends. Never has, never will,” the former UK assistant coach said.

Players on this year’s team referred to Rohrssen as the “good guy” on the coaching staff because of the way he always tried to encourage them.

“That is very kind of them to say. I have been very fortunate to come from a background where I had some very good coaches. I am a product of the Catholic High School Athletic Association in New York City who have had some of the best high school coaches in the history. My coaches just set a good example of what to do and how to act. I never forgot that,” Rohrssen, who got emotional when talking about his background, said.

While he didn’t know at the time he would soon be leaving Kentucky, he said during the Final Four it would be easy for him to remember what made this year with Calipari at UK special.

“It’s not always about the wins. It is about what you can do to help kids and we had great kids. You don’t forget that,” Rohrssen said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post