Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Getting stronger a priority for Tai Wynard

By LARRY VAUGHT

He’s not talked to John Calipari directly in recent weeks, but while exchanging text messages the Kentucky coach has told Tai Wynyard that “he was down but should be okay for the next step in getting Kentucky” back in the national title picture.

The 6-9 Wynyard played in the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland, Ore., Saturday for the World Team. The power forward from Auckland verbally committed to UK about three months ago after also visiting Texas and Villanova to become UK’s first 2016 commitment.

Wynyard, who plans to enroll at UK for the second semester after finishing his high school work, says he is “trying to get stronger” for the American competition he will face.

“I need to be better conditioned, more athletic. I am going in the gym more,” Wynyard said during a telephone interview from Portland, Ore., before playing in the Nike Hoop Summit. “I had not been doing much, but now I am getting into it. I am getting where I can run longer and quicker.”

Wynyard plays for the NZ Breakers in Australia and was recently named the club’s best young player.

He didn’t get to follow Kentucky regularly during the season because of the time difference. However, he did watch the Final Four loss to Wisconsin.

“I don’t want to talk about that,” he laughed and said. “I did see the game. I felt pretty heartbroken. They played their hearts out. Sometimes you just do not get it done. But they were great all season. It was a good job for them, but they just did not get the win.”

Three of the players he spent the most time with on his UK visit — Karl-Anthony Towns, Trey Lyles and Willie Cauley-Stein — all recently declared for the NBA draft. But Wynyard also dreams of playing in the NBA, something only four New Zealanders have ever done.

“That’s the No. 1 place for getting people to the NBA as this week showed,” he said. “I’ve wanted to do that since I was a little boy. That was amazing them being able to have that many NBA players.”

Wynyard remains uncertain when he’ll get to Kentucky as says it could still be for the second semester of the 2015-16 season but he likely would use the second semester as a redshirt rather than playing. He could also wait until June of 2016 to arrive at UK.

“If I do go the second semester, I would probably redshirt to get a head start on the conditioning and stuff and get ready for the next year,” Wynyard said. “I would really like to come for the first semester, but the academic side is not quite there yet. I have got all my credits, but my GPA (grade-point average) needs some work. I’ve got to do some things to be ready for college.”

He got a taste of what that college competition will be like by being invited to the  Nike Hoop Summit. He also got to play with Skal Labissiere, UK’s highest ranked recruit in the 2015 recruiting class. The 7-0 Labissiere has already been projected as a potential No. 1 pick in the 2016 NBA draft.

“It has been great fun to get to play with Skal,” Wynyard said before Saturday’s game. “I didn’t know him at all before I got here, but we are getting pretty close.

“I have kind of had to adapt to the American game, the more athletic game, this week and that’s good for me. It’s preparing me for Kentucky. Skal is already there. He is a really good player. He can do all kinds of stuff. He is really athletic. He can shoot. He has done really well every day.”

Wynyard said he got better as shown by a late practice when “I got a couple of boards and putbacks” for the first time.

“When I first got here, I did knot know the way to play. But it has been fun for me and I am obviously playing a lot better,” he said.

He didn’t get to watch UK signee Isaiah Briscoe practice since he was on Team USA, but he heard plenty about him.

“From what I heard he seems like a unique type of guy and player,” Wynyard said. “I think he’s going to be very good, too, at Kentucky.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post